Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Congressman Gephardt lays out his economic plan

Author Topic: Congressman Gephardt lays out his economic plan
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, at the National Press Club, Congressman Gephardt introduced his 5 points plan. The plan is an effort to address our current economic malaise.

Five points:
1. Targeted assistance to vital areas. Short-term tax cuts for working families and businesses.

2. Draft a framework for a balanced budget.

3. Restore confidence in the marketplace.

4. Protect the pension plans of Americans. Create a system whereby an American has a portable pension plan.

5. Raise minimum wage over three years.

Details:
Speech at the National Press Club, 10/15

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, do you have an opinion on this, or are you just a news-source-in-training?
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Congressman Gephardt's plan will have as much chance to be implented as the President's terrorism insurance which is nil. The Republicans in the House are against raising the wages of working class families and are for tax cuts for investors. Since I am not an economist, I can't see how tax cuts for investors will help our economy.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raising minimum wage may not be a good thing. Getting companies to lower their prices would be just as effective, or better. Raising MW has the effect of businesses raising their prices and rental rates going up, since the people make more money they can charge more.

Unless you can figure out a way to tie it in to inflation, but if inflation goes up 3% the MW would have to go up 3.1%, or some such thing, or people making MW will never get ahead.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I shan't be happy until I can buy a porche whilst working at Burger King.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In effect...

Gephardt: "You're disrupting a well-laid economic plan."
Republicans: "Well you can take your well-laid plan and stick it up your well-laid ass."

Turnipsies for the winner.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimpim, few things Gephardt has ever talked about or done have been well planned. just so you know.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, how he came up w/ this plan a month before he's due up for re-election (or otherwise).

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps