Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A Brit to like (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A Brit to like
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm, well, if you were armed at the time, and didn't kill the mugger while he took your legs, then that would show great restraint...

What would your reactions have been had we launched an attack that people at the time felt was in proportion to the attack we received? Popular opinion in my area was to use the Peacekeepers to their fullest extent....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is, You're the Weak. And I'm the Tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying to be the Shepard."
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like the logic of appeasement, but this time for america.

Take one global bully, add a mild lull in his beating & raping the shit out of nations, and you say thanks for not kicking our heads in.

Or as my computer has so often said: Keyboard error. Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe we should quit giving so much aid money to so many countries around the world. afterall, who wants to take money from an international bully.
IP: Logged
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, giving them the lunch money we are going to steal seems a bit much....
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
maybe we should quit giving so much aid money to so many countries around the world. afterall, who wants to take money from an international bully.

No, like I said, we're welcome when they need money, or bailed out of some war they got into, but when the dying's over, it's "go home, yankee imperialist capitalist bastards!"

Until the next time.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good twist. But you're not going to weasel out of it that easily. Don't try and tell me that a few million dollars here or there (chump change) is going to in any way make up for the resources that ye take in exhange. Or for the lovely But unequal treaties you are wont to sign. Since you're so generous and obviously the mega corps care so much about the overall development of humanity, why not cancel all 3rd world debt. Hmm?
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't see anyone else cancelling world debt. most of it doesn't lie with the US. the US will never win in the minds of people like you. if we don't interfere with world affairs, then we aren't living up to our super power status and are evil for not doing something. if we do interfere with world affairs then we are accused of being an evil empire hellbent on world domination. and do you want to know something? millions of dollars is only chump change when you aren't the ones earning it. the US gives billions to other countries. maybe you should return the 170 million dollars that was given to Peru in FY1999. afterall, it's just chump change.

[edited to add the word "in"]

[ October 29, 2002, 17:03: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's not actually from Peru, Edipis. It's a llama joke.

Hm. I can't think of any resources we take without paying for... I mean, unless you don't count the foreign workers employed and the economic development of the areas we take resources from as "paying."

The US government gave away $10 billion in aid last year, more than any other nation.

Americans privately give at least $34 billion overseas -- more than three times U.S. official foreign aid of $10 billion.
International giving by U.S. foundations totals $1.5 billion per year
Charitable giving by U.S. businesses now comes to at least $2.8 billion annually
American NGOs gave over $6.6 billion in grants, goods and volunteers.
Religious overseas ministries contribute $3.4 billion, including health care, literacy training, relief and development.
U.S. colleges give $1.3 billion in scholarships to foreign students
Personal remittances from the U.S. to developing countries came to $18 billion in 2000

Source: Dr. Carol Aderman, Aid and Comfort, Tech Central Station, 21 August 2002.

However, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with forgiving all foreign debt.

Provided we aren't asked for any more. No throwing good money after bad.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I remember, the one chart that has been produced to show how much money the US gives to other countries (the AIDS one) showed that comparitively, the US was behind a fair few other countries when it came to donations.

Of course, that was just one chart. Anyone with overall international aid figures?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I think you're talking about the chart that showed our aid as a proportion of our economy, which may be true.

But since we have the biggest and most thriving economy of all the donor nations, that's to be expected.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
i don't see anyone else cancelling world debt. most of it doesn't lie with the US.

Canada has agreed to write off debts to about 50 third world countries, IIRC.
quote:
the US will never win in the minds of people like you. if we don't interfere with world affairs, then we aren't living up to our super power status and are evil for not doing something. if we do interfere with world affairs then we are accused of being an evil empire hellbent on world domination.
Nobody wants America to pick up its ball and go home. We just want it to play the game fairly and sportsmanlike, keep its elbows down and pass from time to time.
quote:
and do you want to know something? millions of dollars is only chump change when you aren't the ones earning it. the US gives billions to other countries. maybe you should return the 170 million dollars that was given to Peru in FY1999. afterall, it's just chump change.
I think somebody with a rather flagrant ignorance of international economics who can't draw a distinction between development aid and using World Bank leverage to buy out domestic control of someone's economy and moving financial policy-making from the hands of democratically-elected governments into the hands of unelected bureaucrats at the IMF had best shut up before they say something too ludicrous. Oh, wait, they did.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
I think you're talking about the chart that showed our aid as a proportion of our economy, which may be true.

But since we have the biggest and most thriving economy of all the donor nations, that's to be expected.

Aid in millions of dollars:

Country 1999 2000 2001

--------------------------------------------------

1. Denmark 1,733 1,664 1,599
2. Norway 1,370 1,264 1,346
3. Netherlands 3,134 3,075 3,155
4. Luxembourg 119 116 142
5. Sweden 1,630 1,813 1,576
6. Belgium 760 812 866
7. Switzerland 969 888 908
8. France 5,637 4,221 4,293
9. Ireland 245 239 285
10. Finland 416 371 389
11. United Kingdom 3,401 4,458 4,659
12. Spain 1,363 1,321 1,748
13. Germany 5,515 5,034 4,879
14. Portugal 276 261 267
15. New Zealand 134 116 111
16. Austria 527 461 457
17. Australia 982 995 852
18. Japan 15,323 13,062 9,678
19. Canada 1,699 1,722 1,572
20. Greece 194 216 194
21. Italy 1,806 1,368 1,493
22. United States 9,145 9,581 10,884

(Note: Apparently, Japan beet us in 1999 and 2000. Nice guys.)

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

This is kind of sad....
 -

http://www1.oecd.org/dac/images/AidRecipient/irq.gif is the original

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:

Actually, the chart just showed overall totals, like the other you posted. I divided it by total population.

After all, comparing the US' total contribution to somewhere like Germany is hardly fair, is it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps