Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » House of Lords reform (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: House of Lords reform
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er... Ah... Um...

Damn you.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The electoral college increases the statistical value of the individual's vote.

I read (well, glanced at) an interesting book about the governments of Europe written during and, as I recall, published shortly after WWII. (With special: "Hey, we are not dead!" preface.) It had an interesting take on the role of the monarchy in then modern Britain.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and one of the most important functions of the monarchy is keeping a politician out of the top spot! I am not fond of politicians. At all. Mind you, we've got to have 'em, but we should at least keep them in one place! Not to mention the monarchy provides an element of dignity to the proceedings which is lacking in republics. And they don't cost that much really.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Not to mention the monarchy provides an element of dignity to the proceedings

That calls for a mighty big "Ermm..."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its alright to cheat and lie.. as long as you do it with DIGNITY!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me prefers a king or queen chosen through birthright with no political power to an elected president with more power than is healthy for any human
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Electoral college is easy... kinda. [Wink] In principle, the general elections are basically all eligible citizens choosing a "representative" to vote for the President. The various representatives (meeting on a state-by-state basis) comprise the Electoral College. States are assigned a number of electoral votes based on the total number of seats they have in both houses of Congress. Since the House of Representatives is based on representation by population, and so that becomes the primary determining factor.

Yeah, it's way convoluted. But it was also thought up in the year 1789, back when the Framers hated the monarchy, but didn't want to hand over the Presidency directly to the people. They weren't what we'd consider left-wing democrats, after all... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Cartman:
/me prefers a king or queen chosen through birthright with no political power to an elected president with more power than is healthy for any human

Absolutely; politicians tend to get all macho when you give them titles like commander in chief anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and one of the most important functions of the monarchy is keeping a politician out of the top spot!"

What "top spot"? The monarch is powerless, so that isn't a "top spot". If you even have a "top spot", wouldn't it be the prime minister, who, at last check, was a politician?

The problem w/ the electoral college is that it opens the possibility that someone can win the presidency and have fewer popular votes than the runner-up. I can't think of any logical reason why this should ever be allowed to happen.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Head of state and head of government are not the same thing.

The "power" of the monarchy in the UK is not supposed to be political anymore. Of course, today it is arguable whether or not they have any of their more elusive symbolic power, or whether such is even necessary.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the US electoral college would work better if the votes from each state were divided between the amount of votes each party was given. This winner take all is not representative at all.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Grokca, that's one of the things people argue. I read a book for a Poli-Sci class a couple of years ago about theories on proportional representation. Of all the theories I've read, the "winner take all" arrangement is one of the least logical, IMO.

One of the best ideas I've heard is for several representatives to be elected in each district (and have larger districts as a result). For example, if you're going to have elections for five seats in the House of Representatives, rather than split the section into five districts for each of the five seats, all five seats are up for grabs on an "at large" basis, and votes are cast for more than one candidate. The result is said (in theory) to be more representative because the majority of the votes will still go to the most popular candidate, but the minority will still get representation because there's more than one seat available.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe this thread is so old - as soon as I read the article below, this discussion popped into my head.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1150429,00.html

I thinik it's ingenious. The second chamber gets apportioned by proportional representation. There could still be problems, though, as the political parties would likely choose people fanatically loyal to the party, and unlikely to go against the party line.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, much as I hate to prove you right, I really don't think I can take the time to make sense of this, because I don't know how the British government works. Which is because I'm still having enough trouble figuring out the US one.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, simple: The country is divided up into about 630 parliamentary constituencies. During elections each of these votes for their Member of Parliament (MP), and whichever candidate from whichever party gets the most votes is the winner. The Government is then formed by the party which has the largest number of MPs. It doesn't have to be an overall majority (more than 50% of the House of Commons) in theory but in practise it's required otherwise the Government would never be able to win Commons votes.

Fine so far? Now, some people, the Liberal Democrat party in particular, have said for a long time that this system doesn't accurately represent the will of the people, because, try as the boundary commission might, there are still variances in the number of voters in each constituency. They want the House of Commons to be apportioned according to the percentage of the electoral votes each party received nationwide. This is proportional representation (PR), and no government in power would go for it because a) despite winning on number of seats, every recent goverment in PR terms has received less than 50% of the total votes and so would have no overall majority; b) the Lib Dems' fraction of parliament would rise enormously, making them the likely party to form a coalition government with if the party in power is to be able to govern at all - but at the cost of compromise over policy. Countries like Italy do use PR, and think how many coalition governments they've had.

Bragg is suggesting that the House of Lords, to be renamed the Second Chamber, be appointed using PR. OK?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps