Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Powell presents. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Powell presents.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for those reasons, the UN isn't paying any attention to North Korea, and is instead demanding the US handle it.

A double standard so obvious Ray Charles could see it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mostly because the Bush administration has been instigating the NK situation and the international community sees that..
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you "instigate" something by requiring that a country hold itself to the treaty it agreed to?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we set a great example by pulling out of the treaties we agreed to.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By issuing a policy document from the State Department in September 2002 which tries to justify the principles of preemptive strikes. Now, if your country has been singled out by the most powerful country in the world, wouldn't you get worried?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/nss.pdf

I'm not justifying North Korea's actions, but at the same time, it really looks like the US was announcing that it would attack anyone it wants to. That would sure get ME worried...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

You'll have to point out the part of that that refers to North Korea.

You'll also have to try to make a valid comparison between withdrawing from a treaty, in which a country gives due notice of its intend long before the treaty is withdrawn from, (example: The US and the BMD agreement) and abrogating a treaty, wherein a country simply ignores the treaty it negotiated and does whatever the hell it wants to from the get-go (example: The North Koreans and the WMD/energy treaty.)

Of course, if you fail to see the difference, I don't hold out much hope for you.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
You'll have to point out the part of that that refers to North Korea.

Whoops, sorry. I was talking about the part on PDF page 19... which is where they start talking about preemptive strikes and other options.
quote:
You'll also have to try to make a valid comparison between withdrawing from a treaty, in which a country gives due notice of its intend long before the treaty is withdrawn from, (example: The US and the BMD agreement) and abrogating a treaty, wherein a country simply ignores the treaty it negotiated and does whatever the hell it wants to from the get-go (example: The North Koreans and the WMD/energy treaty.)
Oh, I agree completely... as I said, I'm not approving of what they're doing at all. Just interpreting what they're probably thinking...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

we set a great example by pulling out of the treaties we agreed to.

But we have such a great record with treaties.
[Eek!]

(Pulls arrow out of back)

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps