Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » And this would be the Islamic Fundie Uprising?

Author Topic: And this would be the Islamic Fundie Uprising?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.com/news/876550.asp?0cb=-51b133692

quote:
TEHRAN, Iran, Feb. 28 � Thirteen months after President Bush called Iran part of an �axis of evil,� and on the eve of a possible U.S.-led war against Tehran�s similarly vilified neighbor, Iraq, the Iranian government has quietly weighed its reputation as an international pariah against America�s superpower might. The Islamic theocracy�s conclusion, analysts and sources say, is that U.S. plans to topple Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein should be viewed as an opportunity rather than a threat.
quote:
And in the Persian Gulf, Iran has reversed its blind-eye policy toward Iraqi oil smugglers doing a brisk trade in illegal crude. Although not officially part of the international coalition that enforces the blockade, the Iranian navy also thwarts Saddam�s contraband.
In its most serious engagement ahead of a war with Iraq, Iran has agreed to help the United States in search-and-rescue operations for U.S. pilots. The deal was worked out in a secret dialogue between Tehran and Washington last month.

quote:
Analysts say Iran�s readiness to participate in the periphery of a U.S. war on its borders demonstrates the Islamic republic�s practical approach to the Bush administration�s policy in the region.
�It�s called active neutrality,� said Hermidas Bavand, an international relations professor and a former Foreign Ministry official in the shah and Islamic governments. �By accommodating U.S. military engagement in Iraq, the expectation is that [the war] could be used as a sort of breakthrough as far as the relationship between Iran and the United States is concerned.�

quote:
Iran�s cooperation with the United States could be the Islamic theocracy�s ticket off Bush�s black list.
�Certain circles in Iran believed that a controlled Saddam is better than any other alternative. But common sense shows that the removal of Saddam would serve Iranian national interests,� said Bavand.

quote:
If Iran succeeds in winning assurances from the United States that it is not next for �regime change,� Tehran�s ability to keep Islamic fervor in check during a conflict with Iraq will be crucial to America�s attempts to stabilize region after a war.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And let's watch as all this blows up in the U.S.'s face about 10 years later.

Me? I don't like the idea at all. I'm a little shocked that the U.S. would even consent to this. Not in a country when democracy is consistently stomped like ants on a pavement every day. But then, you have to wonder: could American influence fuel such an "uprising"?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that does seem to have a tendancy to happen...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But at the same time, there has been a growing reaction to the fundie government there -- civilian officials pushing for liberalization, a few of the political prisoners being released... granted there's still a long way to go, but since when did everything happen all at once?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite being part of the alledged Axis of Evil, Iran has no reason to love Iraq.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now that the venerable Ollie North has been let loose again and is "fighting the good fight", Iran should be twirling their moustaches about now. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm a little shocked that the U.S. would even consent to this. Not in a country when democracy is consistently stomped like ants on a pavement every day. But then, you have to wonder: could American influence fuel such an "uprising"?

It's not like it's a new thing, we supported the shah in his time, and Marcos, and a bunch of other questionable governments over the years. And Iran hate Sadam. They had a war with him before we did.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

US voices Iran nuclear concern

Iran Nuke Program Seen Accelerating

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good. Another one.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank Russia.

You know, the other disapproving UNSC mmember with a veto?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veto rights are the best thing to ever happen to members of the SC.

[ March 12, 2003, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

A statement you will disavow the instant the US vetoes something.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Maybe this is what they mean by "bloody street-to-street fighting against Iraqi who will NEVER surrender..."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/12/sprj.irq.iraq.secret.surrender/index.html

quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. officials told CNN Wednesday that "secret surrender" negotiations have begun with key Iraqi military officials in hopes some military units will not fight U.S. and coalition forces should there be a war.

Communications with these Iraqi military officials are not being handled by the Pentagon, but instead by other "elements" of the U.S. government, the officials said.

One senior official said some elements of the Iraqi military may have already agreed not to fight. This underscores assessments by both the CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency that the leadership around Saddam Hussein is "brittle." Officials have been making that assessment somewhat public as part of their effort to publicize Saddam's vulnerability.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps