Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Where's Saddam?

Author Topic: Where's Saddam?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While watching CNN, we've been waiting for an hour or more waiting for the "special address" by Saddam. It's taken a while... were they busy editing the speech, or dressing up an actor for this speech?

I was half expecting something like this:
 -

[Big Grin]

(He's on now... I didn't realize he wore glasses? Kinda weird in a way.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's the new children's book craze, "Where's Sadaam!"

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and just how many ladies are there in here?? [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's the new children's book craze, "Where's Sadaam!"

I'll have to dig out my Private Eye annuals and try and find those 'Where's Ozzy?' (as in bin Laden) things they did... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious... any notice that Saddam hasn't worn those glasses again in any of his supposedly more recent appearances since the start of the war? I'm not sure exactly what conclusion to draw from that, but it's definitely weird that the one time he's wearing glasses....

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it matter at this point if Saddam is alive or dead? Even if he is alive, I seriously doubt that he can contact anybody outside his bunker without phyiscally walking there.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Sure, it doesn't matter specifically as far as the fighting goes, but the political ramifications are still pretty important -- not to mention the question of who's in charge of Iraq at this point, or if anyone's in charge.

The Iraqis are also making a big deal of airing images of Saddam exhorting the people and boasting about the inevitable Iraqi victory over the American gangsters -- so it's a publicity question. The war isn't just combat anymore.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is out gassing Waldo....
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush: This was not in the agreement!

Saddam: Relaaax, guy! You know, you need to lie down, get some rest!

Bush: But you said if I "forgot" your secret plans to gas France you would give us your nukes!

Saddam: I've changed my mind! Pray I don't change it any further!

Bush: This deal gets worse all the time...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...any notice that Saddam hasn't worn those glasses again in any of his supposedly more recent appearances since the start of the war?"

The only image I've caught was the second video they showed: the one w/ him and his son Qusay. Has he been reading anything in any of the others? I assumed the only reason he was wearing glasses in that initial speech was to be able to read the speech off that legal pad he was holding.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

There's been at least one, maybe two video clips I've seen on CNN since the first bombing -- that they said were claimed to be "recent" (i.e. after the missile barrage) -- in which Saddam was reading a speech on a pad of paper in front of him, but he didn't have the glasses.

I suppose he got woken up by that missile strike since it was nighttime or just around dawn over there when the speech was put on, and didn't have time to put his contact lenses in. But that doesn't entirely make sense for a dictator who's obsessed with image...

(As an aside, just a little while ago CNN aired a few editorial comics, one of which was a sketch showing similarities between Saddam [or his double] in that glasses-wearing speech, and Groucho Marx. It was funny, to say the least. [Wink] )

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say the secret woid, and the missles come down.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you still killing your own people? Answer yes or no.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking international boundries or ethnic/religious divisions?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps