Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The initial assault on Baghdad...

Author Topic: The initial assault on Baghdad...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...consisted of dropping a big bomb w/ the specific intent of dropping it on the Iraqi president's head. Is it just me, or is that attempted assassination of a foreign leader, something the US government supposedly has a policy against?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a policy and actually implementing it are two different things.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, could be like the case of the .50 cal machine gun, it isn't to be used against people, but the belt buckles they are wearing, well, that is just different. Maybe they were trying to get SH, just his paperwork, with 40 TLAMs.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the exact wording of that limitation on assassination of heads of state, really? Does it apply in wartime as well?

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught a bit of this discussion on CNN, and I think they said that the policy doesn't apply during wartime.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, Bush can lift the Executive Order anytime he so chooses.

And I think I was watching CNN at the same time as Topher. There are no limits on attacking foreign leaders if you're at war with them. Of course, it could be argued that this isn't really a "war" (I don't think we've actually been at war with anyone since Korea, and, er, we're still at war with them).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush is too much of a pansy to declare war.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By that definition, the last non-pansy presidents we had were Truman & FDR.

Works for me [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't thik we ever declared war in Korea, either. I think WW2 was the last official war the US was in.

And Executive Order 12333 says "No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination.". Nothing about a difference between war- and peacetime.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember right doesn't Congress have to declare war, the president can send troops in to combat, but an actual war is a congrssional action.

I am still wondering if the thin red line exists, I would both hate and love to see them use the WsMD. To have the stuff used would show that he hid it well, but the death toll makes me shudder.

If you were a power hungry lunatic that once had these weapons, and used them, saw their effectiveness, would you really get rid of them?
I wouldn't, I'd hide them all over the country, and, since I care for my people so much, in their basements, closets, pantries, and what not, the UN wouldn't look in the commoners homes, or those of the regular officers and higher enlisted men in the military. Hundreds, or thousands, of places the UN wouldn't look with 'violating' peoples rights.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

The thrid bird they left out, the stoned forward controller calling in an airstrike....
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I am now wondering if the Minsiter of Info is really going to take reporters out to the airport, like he said he might, in a couple of hours.

I can see the picture now: Iraq says they are kicking the coalitions ass, while in reality losing, then, when there are enough coalition forces in Bagdad they will use the WsMD, blaming it on the 'criminals' that they are trying to say are losing. It isn't a case of when forces frist cross the line, but when enough forces are in the CEP.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he's going out to surrender, get out while he still can?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Yes.

Warhawk sould be voiced by the guy from mail call.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps