Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Canada's Littleton (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Canada's Littleton
Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some asshole walked into some school and Alberta and opened fire. At least one dead. Well, this should give the pro-gun people something to talk about.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People are just plain followers. Once in awhile, you get a leader, like those two in the Littleton shootings. But then there's a relentless flood of followers.......anyone remember the sharp increase of Ford� Bronco� 's after O.J. capped his wife? Idiots (Followers).

------------------
(Insert witty, attention-grabbing and extremely cool signature that inspires envy from all who see it Here.)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Doesn't Canada have gun laws?

Gee, all these people been ganging up on the US for not having better gun laws had better look to the logs in their own eyes, to use a biblical turn of phrase...

Or maybe it's not the guns, but the people...
*look of shocked amazement*
People ignore laws sometimes! What a CONCEPT!

*shrugs*
Until we realize that it's the crooks and the psychos we need to toss into a furnace, not the guns, we'll continue to have these sorts of things.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the idea that people have is that situations like this are more commin in America than in other countries with tighter gun laws.

And yes, it is the people. And what do you do with crazy people? Council them, and keep them in a padded room. Until that happens, it'd be best if the ability to murder from a distance wasn't quite so easy to hand.

------------------
'Those are the headlines. Happy now?'
-Chris Morris.

Simon
Ex-Member

As well these crimes have more to to with the culture of guns in the US, which spreads to Canada despite tougher laws. AS well one figure is that in the US a student kills another in school every three months, in Canada its every 25 years.
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Simon. To measure the success of gun laws, you should look at the number of shootings in each country. Although I don't have the figures, I'm sure that the figure would be much greater in the US, even if you express it as the percentage of the total population.

Gun laws work. They can't stop psychos, but they do stop the senseless killing resulting from a moment of anger or a rush of blood. This is what gun laws are meant for and even if ONE life is saved as a result, then the laws are worth it.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Raven: Canada is proposing tougher new restrictions on Gun control. Guess who's blocking the way? Preston Manning and the damned Reform Party.

I was shocked to hear the news. From preliminary information, the student was a loner, constantly picked on by friends, beaten up, etc. So he wanted revenge. Things could have been worse if the student had not been subdued by a teacher or somethingorother.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhh? When did I become a part of this thread?

AcK!

Anyways, First of Two is right, and I'll point out that student killing a student happens daily in the inner cities, like NY, LA, Chicago...
Why don't you hear about it? They almost always black, and since it happens daily, who cares?

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So just because it happens every day, then it doesn't matter if others die too?

That's a very good attitude that, Really.

"Mrs X, your son was shot dead today but it doesn't matter since someone is shot dead here every day anyway"

*leaves the thread in disgust*

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orion, I wasn't stating that as MY personal opinion!! I was noting that most people don't hear about it because of those reasons... Ok?

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops, that was directed at First of Two for his comment on Canada's Gun Laws.

One thing that I'll say, there will always be psychos around. Guns, on the other hand, aren't like that.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about this.. in the only two school shooting incidents that were cut SHORT, (Edinboro and... Paducah, I think,) the perps were stopped by legally armed CIVILIANS. (And in that one in Oregon, an NRA member's kid subdued the attacker while he was reloading. He knew how long that would take due to his experience with guns.)

The police were nowhere.

Later tonight I will post some dozen or so recent incidents during which civilians used firearms to defend themselves and/or save lives. I could post a LOT, but I'm too lazy. However, I can pretty much guarantee you that none of these made the evening news. Why? They don't want you to know about it, they just want you to equate guns with bad people. So self defense stories rarely make the news.
Until then...

------------------

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

Well, I'm sitting at home this afternoon, since my school has been threatened with attack. Someone left a note naming the people he wants to get and stating that he loves the trenchcoat mafia and that my school is next.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

Simon
Ex-Member

First of Two: At Columbine high there was an armed police officer. Before the shooting was over there were three deputies in the school, all armed with guns. How much did they do to prevent the massacre? The world would be a better place if none of them had been carrying weapons.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

The deputies were AT the school, not in it. I saw an interview with one of them. They did fire at the guys, but missed (the bad guys returned fire, using up bullets they could then not use on students). Very likely the presence of the armed cops kept the carnage from going even farther, by panicking the bad guys, who we know wanted to do much more damage.
Armed teachers might have helped.. of course, since my folks are teachers, I've ALWAYS believed they should all be issued handguns and permitted a 10% casualty allowance.

*BLAM!* "Anybody else not do their homework?"

Kidding aside, a kid in my father's school stood up in class a couple days ago, said school was "bullshit," commented on how much he ADMIRED the Littleton killers, and raved about how he'd like to kill a few teachers.

You know what the law permits them to do in response? Suspend him. Maybe. And now the same people who want you disarmed want schools not to be able to expel OR suspend a student without the parents' consent, no matter WHAT he or she does.

My, there are a lot of fools in the world...

(Oh, and for anybody who wants to know, in MY perfect world, in response, the teacher would have drawn, fired, and asked "anybody else want to share a few words?" then called for the janitor to come clean up the mess. Think of it as evolution in action.)

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps