Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What makes a country?

Author Topic: What makes a country?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is obviously derrived from the current Iraq situation, but I'd like to extend it to all similar ones. Once Sadaam is completely gone, and Iraq starts thinking about its new government, exactly why should it be defined as a single country? You've got different ethnic groups, different religious beliefs, all manner of people living in the geographic region now defined as Iraq, so once the one guy with the tanks is removed from the picture... what would keep Iraq as a single country? Would the individual groups consider unity to be in their best interest? Should they? And extended to the rest of the world, what makes a country a country, anyhow?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend you to go to the local library. The subject has been debated almost 'ad nauseam'. There are those who believe in ethnic unity, others believe in religious homogeinization, while some others theorize about the foundation of nation-states based in a prefabricated, artificial 'national ideal', like the Italian and French republics. I recommend you look for Giuseppe Garibaldi, the most important Italian figure in the 18th Century, as a good explanation of romantic-era ideals and nation building.

Again, there are thousands of volumes about this. I think you should cut your question a little shorter and apply it to the 'possible' future context of the Iraqi state, which is different of the Iraqi nation, which may not exist at all (provided there are three major ethnicities in there).

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut it up into three states.
Kurdistan
Palistine
Bushistan (where all the oil is located)(Bush Gardens maybe?)

It is a big question, and who should decide how it is settled. By all rights, the Arabs should have all say in how it's setteled, but then, how would that be any different then what they have now. The Saud family has ties to Al-Qada, and they are supposed to be allies, or at least not enemies. Maybe we could send them Jerry Lewis. Might make the French happy.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the US allows the formation of Kurdistan, the Turks will have a fit. That's the reason they were (are?) revoking their offer to let the US fly over Turkey: they want to send troops into northern Iraq to keep the Kurds down, but the US won't let them. They're afraid the independence of Iraqi Kurdistan will prompt a Kurdish uprising in Turkish Kurdistan.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now that I've posted that, they mention on CNN that Turkey has allowed the US to use its airspace unconditionally, but that Turkish troops have, in fact, moved into northern Iraq.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likewise, allowing Turkish troops to create their "buffer zone" will seriously piss off the Iraqi Kurds -- the very same people we're hoping will form the core (or at least initial leaders) of a new Iraqi government and are currently relying on for some intelligence and contact with potential defectors.

What a wonderful world we live in.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err, didn't Turkey promise that they wouldn't send troops into Iraq a few days ago? I thought there was an agreement with the EU.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Err, didn't Turkey promise that they wouldn't send troops into Iraq a few days ago? I thought there was an agreement with the EU.

Today CNN reported that the Turks are indeed (and disturbingly so) beginning to enter Northern Iraq.

This could get very ugly. [Frown]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Of course, given that the US dropped bombs on Iraq's capital, against the wishes of most of the world, in the interest of "protecting" itself, it hardly seems like they're in a position to complain when Turkey performs a peaceful (so they say) troop redeployment into the same country for the same reason.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck it, we're there, annex the damn place....

If Turkey were to try to get all the Kurds there from Turkey and let them make their own country it would, you think, make their problems less. Of course, trying to talk them in to giving up their ancestoral lands to move to their 'new' country may piss off the Kurds, and the same for Turkey, aww, come on, just give up a few hundred square miles....

Some kind of common unity, such as the desire to control ones group own destiny, the common dislike of the current circumstance of leadership, no taxation without representation, things of this nature. Dividing along ethnic/religious lines is happening as groups become more and more separated in their ideologies and what not.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure the Kurds will just be asked nicely to leave. There are no worrying historical precedents in the region, at least.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Of course, given that the US dropped bombs on Iraq's capital, against the wishes of most of the world, in the interest of "protecting" itself, it hardly seems like they're in a position to complain when Turkey performs a peaceful (so they say) troop redeployment into the same country for the same reason.

Having so much of our shit tied up in Iraq would make it a good time for the small fry to make some moves of their own.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps