Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Sir, the People are Revolting!

Author Topic: Sir, the People are Revolting!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Popular Uprising in Basra

quote:
BASRA, Iraq (CNN) -- British commanders said it appeared a popular uprising against the ruling Baath Party was under way in Basra as British troops and tanks were maneuvering under the cover of darkness near the southern Iraq city.

Juliet Bremner, a correspondent with the British network ITV with troops outside the city, said the commanders told her they had seen groups of 40 to 50 citizens at various locations on the streets and that British forces had taken out an Iraqi mortar that had been firing on the apparent protesters.

quote:
Earlier Tuesday, British forces repelled a battalion-size counterattack in Basra.

They also seized a top Baath Party official -- a move meant to inspire a popular uprising, said Col. Chris Vernon, British military spokesman in Kuwait City. 20 Iraqi militia members were killed in the raid, Vernon said.

"Whap, we're in. Whap, we're out, and 20 of them are gone," Vernon said.

quote:
Coalition forces have begun trucking water from Umm Qasr, now under British control, to Basra. The International Red Cross said 40 percent of Basra's water supply has been restored, according to U.S. Air Force Maj. Gen. Victor Renuart. Once coalition forces better secure cities north of Umm Qasr, such as Basra and Nasiriya, they will start delivering food, Renuart said at U.S. Central Command briefing in Qatar.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd give the news 24 hours to age if I were you. I've heard so many different things that it's difficut to believe anything that is reported on the same day.

I did hear something on the radio about them capturing a top Baath Party official. They didn't mention the anti Baath uprising.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard of the uprising from a second source.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny....the British AIDING an insurrection for once.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Topic: Sir, the People are Revolting!"

Yes they really are disgusting, but we need them for getting votes. :-)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

CNN military guy, Gen.Clark I think it was, said that they really didn't know what was happening in Basra. It looked like there was a revolt, someone else said may be just Chaos.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine a revolt would cause chaos, but, then again, so does getting invaded, for whatever reason. It is still odd that the Iraqi mortar fire is aimed in a direction other than that of the Brits, not bad for the Brits of course, but still odd.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and they're still firing on their own civilians.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps