Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Marines find Iraqi 9-11 mural

Author Topic: Marines find Iraqi 9-11 mural
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaks for itself.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, this is upsetting to actually see something like that -- but is anyone really surprised? I'm not, though I didn't expect it. The Palestinians were dancing in the streets when they heard the news. Saddam went on TV saying that we deserved what we got.

Face it: a lot of people out there hate the US -- that shouldn't be a surprise. About the only thing we can do is try to prove our good intentions by actions; specifically, by faithfully helping to rebuild Iraq, and to get the military occupation over with as soon as safely possible to avoid a festering argument.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope nobody's implying that this means Iraq had anything to do with 9/11. If they are, that means that CNN, MSNBC, FOX, and any book, video or website with a picture of the attack was involved in carrying it out.

It's upsetting, to be sure, and it shows that some Iraqis are glad that happened to us. But nothing more.

--------------------
Meh

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meanwhile, it now appears that while we're allowed to show pictures of their dead soldiers, they're not allowed to show pictures of ours.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, this if anything is an issue yelling for context. Or more accurately, better framing.

The way that photo is framed clearly shows that this is not the entire mural, and also suggests that these "twin towers" probably are anything but. Which sort of erodes the propaganda value of the shot, as it so blatantly suggests a deliberate propaganda effort.

Dunno. Maybe it's just the tinfoil hat I'm wearing. But that really IS the first impression I get. A childish "quasi-forgery" attempt to bolster a point that is a non-issue to begin with.

The propaganda war in the past few days has been getting rather desperate on both sides. It's VERY hard to believe any of the statements either side is making about POW treatment currently. I expect it will get even worse soon, too. (The story about the old peasant shooting down the Apache was funny, though.)

Timo Saloniemi

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a very good picture is it?

Vogon: Yeah, when they do it it's a depraved, disgusting and flagrant breach of the Geneva Convention. When the Western media do it it's in the interests of responsible journalism to show the horror of war in it's entirety.

Or, put another way, the media (and our governments) have double standards. now there's a surprise.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the towers in the mural are off, Iraqi painter after all, the symbolism is there. Can you name any other buildings people have flown airliners in to?

Plus, if it is in the Party HQ, then it would make since that it is there, other than the fact that everyone should love all Americans.

The propaganda value would seem to be nil, if people thought about the fact that the leadership of Iraq does hate the 'American' way, seeing a tribute to their martyrs should move anyone either way. Maybe the rest of the mural was depictions of Israeli buses...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there was the Empire State building, although technically that was a military craft. I think I also heard about some dude flying a Cessna into some building in Greece sometime after 9-11.
But the bottom line, I'd have to agree with what Timo or MM are essentially saying....

*So what? *

In general, I could go out and draw a picture of 9-11 from an anti-American viewpoint. That wouldn't be a crime, it might be in bad taste, but there's not a damn thing anyone can (or should) do about it.....let alone in the Middle East, where its to be expected.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

On January 5, 2002, a teenage pilot flew his light plane into a high-rise in Tampa, Florida, killing himself. A "suicide letter" was found in the wreckage, claiming to be a supporter of Osama bin Laden, but I'm quite suspicious as to why someone who expected his plane to blow up on impact would write a suicide note and keep it with him.

And in April or May 2002, some guy in Milan, Italy, crashed his plane into a high-rise there. He and two others were killed. Some say accident, others say suicide.

--------------------
Meh

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think if it was going to be displayed in the party headquarters, they'd hire better artists.

And it does look like the WTC to me.. you can see the second plane in the background.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the result on the UN talent embargo.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was 1946 or somewhere around there, A B-25 Mitchel medium bomber crashed into the Empire State after getting lost in dense fog. Yeah, and that kid in Tampa. got some real deranged people in the world.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Veers
You first
Member # 661

There was that guy back in January who threatened to crash his plane into a skyscraper in Frankfurt, Germany. He wouldn't have done much because his plane was virtually a glider.

--------------------
Meh

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps