Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Dando

Author Topic: Dando
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I may have spelled the name wrong)
Anyway...

My local news tonight ran a piece on this popular british newswoman. I didn't catch all of it, but she was apparently recently shot and killed outside her apartment.

*waits a beat*

Waitaminnit... don't they have gun laws in the UK?

*crosses arms, taps foot, raises eyebrow, and waits for the equivocation to begin*

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, outlawing something won't make it go away.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Rodimus Prime: "No more jokes, Springer. Cybertron's in deadly danger. We're heading back there. Now."
Springer: "Yes sir, Mister Leader, sir."

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, Britain, like Canada, has strict gun control but not an all out ban on firearms. So shootings like this happen, (there was recently a shooting by a disgruntled transit worker in Ottawa, for instance, that killed two or three people if I remember right), but they are not common like they are in the US.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh! I thought this thread was going to be about musician Evan Dando. Nothing ever goes my way.

------------------
"It was sweet, like lead paint's sweet, but the aftereffects left me paralyzed."
--
They Might Be Giants

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently she was shot at her front door. One bullet at close range through the head with an 8mm.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Feste
Ex-Member

According to everybody involved, the killing had all the earmarks of a "professional hit." Gun laws don't apply there.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an observation:
The other night I watched Newsnight and they had Nick Ross on giving a tribute. He finished by saying he'd be "very surprised if it turned out to have anything to do with Crimewatch". Gordon Brewer nodded in approval.

*Oooh!*(Thinks I)*If I switch over now, I'll catch the ITV news at 11*

*switch*

Dermot Murmuring starts off:
"Newsreader Jill Dando is shot dead...many are now asking, WAS IT BECAUSE OF HER WORK FOR CRIMEWATCH?????!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!"

*cue groan from Monty, and the prompt switching to watch the snooker on 2...*

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a 9mm. Like it matters.

Silenced, they reckon. Therefore unlikely to be a stalker. I mean, there are some 'celebrities' I'd gladly shoot in the head with a silenced 9mm automatic, but Jill Dando wouldn't be one of them. . .

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't stop professionals from acquiring and using guns, but the gun laws do prevent the senseles killing of innocents just on a whim.
They were brought in for good reason after the Dunblane Massacre and although this tragic event with Jill Dando has occured, it is not an argument for legalising all guns. If you do, it'll lead to many more shootings and it would lead to a place where neither I or a vast majority of Brits would like to live.

------------------
What should they be called? Choco Krispies or Coco Pops? LET THE NATION DECIDE!

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*somehow expected this to be on local politician Pat Dando...*

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Simon
Ex-Member

As well in Canada and the UK it would be very hard to build up an arsenal of weapons like the one the Littleton kids had.
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Breaking news, as they say on CNN (Question: if they break the story, do they have to pay for it?): The head of BBC news is under police protection after receiving several death threats from someone who claims to have committed the murder and saying he's next.

This person claims to be part of a Serbian death squad exacting revenge for the bombing of the Belgrade TV station. . .

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I buy into the contract killing because of the probable use of a silencer, but I may be wrong.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, howe often does this sort of thing occur in the UK? And how often does it happen in the US?

Exactly.

I'm beginning to lean towards the professional hit. I can't see someone getting shot in the day and NO-ONE noticing.

------------------
'Those are the headlines. Happy now?'
-Chris Morris.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you've never lived in Detroit, DC, Philadelphia, or New York.

Here's something. There's no firearms of any kind allowed in Washington, D.C. It's practically it's own little fiefdom of Total Gun Control. You would think that it would be a model city...

And yet, statistics show there are more people killed with guns there than just about anywhere else in the country. In fact, if you recall, several people have come to the capitol or white house with guns. Some have killed.

Now, if the gun-banning people were right, and control laws made a difference, none of this would be true, wouldn't it? Nevertheless, there it is.

Want to explain that away?

Oh, I'm leaning towards the contract hit, too. But hey, that's what happens when you make enemies and have no way to defend yourself.

And get Feste to explain why gun laws don't apply to a professional hit. I thought they were supposed to apply to everyone... or were you just pointing out their fatal weakness.. that they only apply to people who obey the law in the first place?

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps