my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Waco: Ten Years Later

Author Topic: Waco: Ten Years Later
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten years ago today, on April 19, 1993, federal agents stormed the Branch Davidian compound after a 51-day siege. In the ensuing hours, the compound burned to the ground and killed 76 men, women, and children. This incident inflammed a one Timothy McVeigh, who truck bombed an Oklahoma City government building two years later and killed 168 people.

In the Waco siege, FBI and ATF agents shot tear gas and cyanide into the compound, killing many children and adults horribly. Then the fire started and the compound burnt down, most likely the result of trigger-happy FBI agents. What's worse is that Janet Reno and the FBI folk lied about doing all of this, and later had to fess up to most of it when evidence was siezed from their HQ. Just a few years ago, Clinton said that the Waco raid "was a mistake."

If you would like to see the true story of the Waco siege, see "Waco: The Rules of Engagement," an Oscar-nominated documentary. It may open some eyes to what really happened ten years ago.

--------------------
Meh

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not read up much on this topic so the only way I would touch it at the current moment is with a hand grenade.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David was as decent of a guy as Jones.

Although this is the first time I have heard of cyanide being used by the Feds, I must have missed something in the articles and reports I've read.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Yeah, some of the Branch Davidians were no saints, either.

--------------------
Meh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, "The Rules of Engagement" was given a pretty thorough beating by James Randi's debunk-o-squad.

That said, it was a bonehead job. And I don't mean Minbari.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Veers
You first
Member # 661

The Feds screwed up. Plain and simple. Koresh may have been a cracpot, but the children who died were not.

--------------------
Meh

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, David wouldn't have had the children killed before hand, just like Jones wouldn't have either....

Yes, Waco was a fucked up thing, the Feds and the Dividians both screwed things up.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, what would the intended function of cyanide have been in this case? In closed spaces, a simple KCN/water "grenade" would quickly create a lethal concentration of the respiration-inhibiting gas, with no real chance of resuscitation. And little chance of containment in just the targeted room, or efficient ventilation afterwards without special gear. We've had a few close calls in our labs, despite all the special ventilation, isolation doors and breathing gear (there being no such thing as "idiot proofing").

Why would this be considered a useful siege weapon? It's great for killing everybody without physically damaging or permanently contaminating the premises, but that isn't a typical siege goal. For police forces anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So why did they decide to move on Koresh in the first place?
Wasn't any of it justified?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I think most of the people there didn't care if the place burnt down and everyone died; they just wanted to get home. In "Rules of Engagement," you see ATF & FBI agents cheering at the compound as it's burning down. Apparetly, they were glad they were killing dozens of people.

The reason to move on Koresh was because he was storing weapons inside his compound, and that there had been a shootout earlier where 4 feds died. Evidence suggests the FBI may have fired first, but know one knows, since the door "disappeared."
(Oh, and I must say this...this must be the worst job of cover-up ever. When confronted on why infared footage showed agents firing on the compound, the FBI dismissed it as "light reflecting off the gun barrels" and "ammunition in the compound exploding at the same time." Yeah, sure.)

--------------------
Meh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debunked!

The FBI weren't the only ones to dismiss the "infrared" footage (which wasn't infrared.)

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Got any more Waco theories to "debunk?"

--------------------
Meh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

No, I think one utter crushing of a conspiracy theory is enough for today.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps