Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The God paradox

Author Topic: The God paradox
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this talk about Christianity etc. reminded me of something I postulated a while ago...

Let's say God decides to show up one day, and proclaims that he does not exist.

Now, if I said that I didn't exist, you wouldn't believe me, you would think I'm nuts or I just woke up or something. But, in the above situation, it's God speaking. What would the religious people do? Would they decide that God doesn't exist, because he said it (which itself is a paradox)? Or would they use this as evidence that God, despite his now-undeniable presence, is fallible?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Megatron: "Waspinator, salvage Inferno."
Waspinator: "Inferno blow up, Waspinator must salvage. Waspinator blow up, nobody salvage. Why universe hate Waspinator?"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever see Monty Python's Life of Brian? Well they had a rather satirical view of that sort of thing.

Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand?! Honestly!
Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
Brian: What?! Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!
Brian: Now, f* off!
[silence]
Arthur: How shall we f* off, O Lord?

Anyway, I am not taking sides on this whole Christian thing that's been going on of late. I learned a long time ago not to argue about God or Guns on the net. I just that that that piece was funny.

------------------
To make an apple pie from scratch, we must first invent the universe.

~Carl Sagan

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd assume He was having a laugh. This sidesteps the alarming question of whether if God returned, people would believe it was really He.

What would be necessary to prove it? Magic?
But any sufficiently advanced tech has the appearence of magic!

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay - I bow to your superior post.

That's one for the good guys *L*.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely, the religious people would say that the person speaking wasn't really God. Or that it was all some sort of test (which is their Xerox explanation for anything bad than happens to non-bad people.)

I, on the other hand, would simply believe what I have always believed: God, if there is one, is either completely off His rocker, or having a huge laugh at our expense.

Life is best explained as a practical joke of very dubious taste.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

[This message was edited by First of Two on April 24, 1999.]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The belief in god is a personal thing and should not be knocked by anyone else because the people who do not believe in god could not understand the level of belief. (This is not a dig at the non-believers, just a comment).

There was a line that Kira mentioned in that episode where that other guy claimed to be the Emissary. I can't remember the whole thing, but it ended

"....if you have faith, no explanation is necessary"

This I believe explains the whole thing perfectly. Now I wouldn't claim to be a religious person because I don't follow all the guidelines laid out, but I do understand what it is to believe in a god or a divine form of existance. I simply say that this argument end and each side should just accept each others beliefs and let it be because the conflicts that have arisen over the years as a result of religion are just senseless.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that line.

Here's the proper response:
"To a schizoid person who thinks giant invisible penguins are invading the ductwork, no explanation is necessary. To someone who knows there's no such thing as giant invisible penguins, no explanation is possible."

Yeah, I'll accept their beliefs as soon as they add "the belief that people who disagree should be left the Hell alone and not bothered" to the list.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think The Shadow has been reading Hitchhikers Guide again, in which case God would go up in a poof of logic.

------------------
We'rree Baaaccckkk

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I haven't, but I think you're right.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Rodimus Prime: "No more jokes, Springer. Cybertron's in deadly danger. We're heading back there. Now."
Springer: "Yes sir, Mister Leader, sir."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I kinda like the religion threads, when they stay civil. It does me good not only to listen and learn what someone else believes, but It also does me good to closely examine my own beliefs as is necessary to post about them.

You never understand anything so well as when you can explain it to another.

--Baloo

------------------
Next: proving that stepping on a crack won't break your mother's back. Nothing against Mom, but sometimes we all have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st of Two: If they believe it, let them believe it. They are their own personal beliefs and although silly to you, they're not silly to them in the same way that you not believing in a god is not silly for you, but they'd consider you silly for it.

Secondly, I do have some beliefs of my own, but I am not one of the people who goes around and tells non-believers that they should believe in god. If you don't believe, that's alright with me, I have no problem with that. In fact, I don't like people who go around preaching be it about religion or atheism. If people want to learn, they'll get a book.

I only talk about it here because it's an open forum and we're discussing. I'm not attempting to convert anyone, nor would I ever try.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

[This message was edited by Orion Syndicate on April 30, 1999.]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps