Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » More edible stupidity!

Author Topic: More edible stupidity!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to let this man speak for himself:
quote:
"I am probably full of hydrogenated fat because until two years ago I didn't know about it. I resent the fact that I have been eating that stuff all my life." - Stephen Joseph
So, this guy wants to force everyone in California to stop eating Oreo cookies because they're not healthy? Oh, the shock! The horror! The idiocy! [Roll Eyes]

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/13/oreo.suit.reut/index.html

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked an Oreo package, and the ingredients clearly include "partially hydrogenated soybean oil". If this guy's that worried about what he eats, and he didn't bother to check up on what "partially hydrogenated soybean oil" is before he started shoving cookies down his throat, it's his own damned fault.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just anopther reason to trigger the San Andreas...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the "partially hydrogenated oil" is on the packaging, but I'm not sure that's the question.

This guy's legal foothold, it seems, is a state law that says that a manufacturer is liable for products that are not known to be unsafe by the consumer.

That's pure bullshit, of course -- it's the same tactic as that fat guy's lawsuit against McDonald's last year. "I didn't know that junk food would make me fat!" "I had no idea that eating fat would make me fat!" "I eat 11 billion Oreos a year, and now I'm fat!"

Boo hoo... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a good thing he can afford better legal representation than HyperOreoConglomerateCorp.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy practices law? Oy.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm. Gee, I honestly had no idea that the fat in food and the fat in fat people were related...

Seriously, this guys a LAWYER!?

Hmm. If he wins, he'll have the Guiness record for the largest Lynch mob in the world. I just hope he doesn't go after Skittles next...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Gee, I honestly had no idea that the fat in food and the fat in fat people were related..."

Well, obesity can have many causes, fat's often just a catalyst for it. Fortunately, THIS idiot can't hide behind a medical affliction (other than being retarded, that is).

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote Drew Carey:

"You know, that stuff'll kill you..."
"What?! *spit!* Oh my God, thank you citizen. I almost had a moment of joy. Fuckin' pleasure nazi, get outta here!"

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
California is moving ever closer to the society portrayed in "Demolition Man."

quote:
"Smoking is not good for you. It has been deemed that anything not good for you is bad, hence illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat... Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys, and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a licence." Salt is illegal. Kissing, and physical touch, such as a handshake, are also not done.

Combine this with that suit against fast-food companies last year...

It's coming, folks. Don't forget that us right-wing kooks warned you about it.

[ May 14, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lawsuit dropped as Oreo looks to drop the fat.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

You know what's really sickening? This guy is going to be claiming victory against The Man now... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
You know what's really sickening? This guy is going to be claiming victory against The Man now... [Roll Eyes]

At least no-one with any sense will actually listen to him. [Smile]

"I sued Oreo cookies because they make you fat and... where are you going? Hey! I won! Come back!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps