Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ultimate Irony of the Hitler Miniseries?

Author Topic: Ultimate Irony of the Hitler Miniseries?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You can get in trouble urging caution. Ed Gernon, executive producer of Hitler and a nominee for buckets of awards for such TV specials as Joan of Arc, Nuremberg, and Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows, said this was a good time to show his movie.

"When an entire country becomes afraid for their sovereignty, for their safety, they will embrace ideas and strategies and positions that they might not embrace otherwise," he said in TV Guide in April. Though nowhere near as dangerous as it was to speak out against the nationalistic trend in 1930s Germany, it was at least difficult to do it in the United States today, he said.

Proving his point, the Alliance-Atlantis production company immediately fired him from his long-held job as head of movies and miniseries.

I guess that the television executives have no sense of historical irony. [Roll Eyes]

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/television/5884652.htm

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

"Heil Bush" and all that [Smile]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a semi-related note: That guy so doesn't look like Hitler.
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Robert Carlisle doesn't look like Hitler (is that really a Bad Thing?!?), he sure as heck has the mannerisms down to a "T". I was amazed at how he would flick his hair, gesture and walk not unlike how Hitler appears in the historical footage and propaganda films I've seen. I had a high regard for Carlisle before, but it has raised up a number of calibers after watching last nights performance! And it doesn't make Hitler into some kind of hero, which is what I was somewhat afraid they'd do. They make him out to be a simpering, whining bastard, IMO.

Can't wait to watch the second part of this Tuesday evening.

EvilTree
Member # 1027

- posted      Profile for EvilTree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I agree with your comment, except Carlisle needs to display more charisma that Hitler had, the ability to captivate the crowd.

If you see old footages of Hitler's speech, you just feel the charisma Hitler displays, even though you have no idea what he's saying.

--------------------
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you see old footages of Hitler's speech, you just feel the charisma Hitler displays, even though you have no idea what he's saying.
Unless you speak German, obviously.

On the subject of Heil Bush- his Grandad was one of the Nazi's bankers. See; it all fits together...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, boy, that sounds lahk one o' them there Urban Legends again...

At the risk of being Godwinized, I did hear a speech recently which reminded both byself and Julie of a speech by the paperhanger, in that it rose dramatically in pitch, volume, and shrillness, much like his speeches tended to, until by the end the speaker was shouting, practically screeching.
Except that this was a woman speaking.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, boy, that sounds lahk one o' them there Urban Legends again...

'Fraid not. Prescott Bush was one of seven directors in the Union Banking Corporation, which was owned by Nazi industrialists. The government eventually seized the assets in 1951 and Grandaddy Bush recieved $1.5 million.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this female speaker, she wouldn't by any chanve have happened to be a Democrat, would she? More than likely, given I can't think of one female Republican noteworthy to have been heard of on this side of the pond. Oh, wait, except for that Florida voting supervisor who so came in useful back in 2000. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Injection of fact:
Was President Bush's gr...

So technically, yes its true.
But it doesn't really mean all that much.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Because since when has there been any obligation for a nation to apply the same morals to its international business dealings (especially in the private sector) and its diplomatic-level politics and policies? And since when should there be?

As regards WWII, there were Nazi sympathies all the way up to the Royal Court in Britain before the war. Russia and Hitler's Germany remained in close military and industrial co-operation right until Barbarossa, and in some ways beyond, despite the open political animosity. Whatever Hitler was doing inside Germany's borders was truly an "internal matter" when it came to international trade.

I see no real change in attitudes today. Major powers continue to play a game of weapon embargos on regime A, arming of regime B, often independent of the official political position of the said powers regarding the said regimes. Take for example the US position of favoring trade with China, yet embargoing trade with Russia that could lead to technology transfer with China. "My enemy's enemy is either my enemy or my ally, depending on which brings more profit" remains as true today as it did in the 1930s.

Timo Saloniemi

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

quote:
So technically, yes its true.
But it doesn't really mean all that much.

I know; I was just stirring... [Big Grin]

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
And this female speaker, she wouldn't by any chanve have happened to be a Democrat, would she? More than likely, given I can't think of one female Republican noteworthy to have been heard of on this side of the pond. Oh, wait, except for that Florida voting supervisor who so came in useful back in 2000. . . 8)

You will probably want to rephrase that, given that for you folks across the pond, who take deserved pride in knowing everything, it is absurd to suggest that you are unaware whom Condoleeza Rice is, to name a single one. Then there's Lynn Cheney, Elizabeth Dole, and of course, Laura Bush.

But you're right, the speech was by a Democrat, one who is doubtless more popular across the pond than she is here.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps