Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush signs 15 billion-dollar AIDS bill (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bush signs 15 billion-dollar AIDS bill
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
contiunous inflation of the US money supply since WW2 a problem that's eventually gonna bite us on the ass and a Very Bad Thing
with the current worries about deflation, you may not have to worry about that much longer- and deflation could be worse than the low inflation most developed countries have now.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I don't have time to take you through economics 101 Ommey.

Good, 'cause it'd be a waste of my time. 'A'.

I'm not completely sure about my US education terminoloy, but I thought "blah blah 101" usually referred to a university module/class. When did you start uni, Stevie-boy?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last August.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did you stop being 15?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never that young.

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

I was never that young.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you always that repetitive? [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes he was. And he was 15. Painfully so.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bill Gates could give $1 million to a charity, but it's a relative pittance to him
Er, gates gave the UN 100 million to fight AIDS, actually. That's over and above what the US government gives.

(Which, in fact, was what was wrong with your LAST little chart in the last $ argument we had, you didn't accound for the far greater amounts that US charities and NGO's provide, beyond what the US government does on its own.

Now, when you show me THAT chart, the one that INCLUDES those factors, I'll be impressed.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
There has to be some Bigger Plan behind this, though.

There is.

Actually, there's more than one, but only two which are important in the short term.

#1. Global politics. It 'makes up' for actions in the Middle East (well, you know, besides removing two oppressive governemnts and dragging Israel and the Palestinians to the negotiating table) by making a big contribution to Africa. It makes international critics of American Foreign policy Look Bad (what have YOU donated, Jacques?), while it makes the people who were behind the plan Look Good. And it does it in a compassionate, yet not painfully expensive, way.

#2. National Politics: It steals Democratic thunder (You wore the ribbons, but WE spent the money.) Anybody (Read: "Any Democrat") who dares to vote against the appropriation can be tarred and feathered as a heartless bastard who probably has KKK affiliations and wants to sit back and watch dark-skinned folks die. May bring enough black voters to the Republican side to swing the next few elections.

Of course, in order to believe in any of these plans, you have to give the current White House occupants credit for cleverness. They'll revoke your Democratic Party membership, if you do. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Dang double-post...

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
(Which, in fact, was what was wrong with your LAST little chart in the last $ argument we had, you didn't accound for the far greater amounts that US charities and NGO's provide, beyond what the US government does on its own.

Microsoft is a US charity now?

Okay, it's a fair-ish point. But there's a reason why those companies are called "multi-national".

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does anyone actually have numbers on (government foreign aid + non religious charities/NGO's) / GDP
....or something equivalent? Or is this all supposition, because this actually sounds kinda interesting but google is uncharacteristically unhelpful. (and thats an abnormally long word)

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Questing in google:

Exhibit A: GDP percentages Wacky, considering that some articles put the percentage that Israel gets from the US at 30%.

Exhibit B:
Aid abroad is Business Back Home

quote:
In an era of declining aid budgets, USAID's official Web site proclaims that "the principal beneficiary of America's foreign assistance program has always been the United States." The site notes that nearly 80 percent of USAID contracts and grants go "directly to American firms." It adds that USAID programs, which cost about $7.5 billion last year, have helped create new markets for American goods and "hundreds of thousands of jobs" for U.S. citizens.
quote:
Other critics fault the buy-American approach. Research by Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.) showed that 53 cents of every dollar spent by the United States on tackling the AIDS crisis in Africa never left the Washington, D.C., area. "Much of the aid is very ineffective," he said. "It is in the hands of various consultants who fly over to Africa for a week and then come back."
Exhibit C: A dozen articles of the form Helms wants churches to do foreign aid

quote:
Under the Helms proposal, the Agency for International Development would be eliminated and its humanitarian and relief budget of roughly $7 billion a year would be given to a quasi-government foundation that would then make grants to private and religious groups.
Considering the number of articles I'm hitting about this guy, how successful was he? Given Bush's rather public views on the subject......its rather bothersome.
How much of US foreign aid is just thinly disguised Jesuit-style evangelism? Geez.

Exhibit 4 : Terrorism: Q&A Foreign Aid

Exhibit 5:
Big huge article with non-governmental donations:
US and Foreign Aid

There's also an nteresting tidbit for that Bill Gates reference. But onto the important part, the math:

quote:
Americans privately give at least $34 billion overseas -- more than three times U.S. official foreign aid of $10 billion
Unfortunately, there are no comparative statistics for other countries.

Using the much more recent GDP graph in the last article and assuming that no other country in the world has invented a "charity" (Dr. Evil style fingers): America rises from 22nd place to sixth, right behind Sweden.
*shrug*

There, we have a partial answer.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Keep in mind that I'm NOT saying we don't need to do more. We need to do more. A poor country with a lot of dead people is a lousy marketplace, after all...

I'm just saying that the "we want it all, now now now" attitude doesn't help, especially when one isn't meeting one's own obligations. HOW many countries did that article say were meeting their goals, after all?

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps