Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What We Clearly Need Are More Tax Cuts

Author Topic: What We Clearly Need Are More Tax Cuts
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
WASHINGTON -- Two top U.S. defense officials signaled Congress on Wednesday that U.S. forces might remain in Iraq for as long as a decade and that permanent facilities need to be built to house them there.

Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and Marine Gen. Peter Pace, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, gave no explicit estimates for the time U.S. forces would stay in Iraq, but they did not dispute members of Congress who said the deployment could last a decade or more. The comments were among the most explicit acknowledgements yet from the Bush administration that the U.S. presence in Iraq will be long, arduous, costly and a strain on the military.

Wolfowitz told the House Armed Services Committee that the Bush administration will eventually come to Congress to seek more money for the military occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Wolfowitz said the size of the supplemental funding request will be determined in the fall. But he did not dispute an estimate by Rep. John Spratt, D-S.C., that the military would need an annual budget of $54 billion -- $1.5 billion a month for Afghanistan, $3 billion a month for Iraq.

The money would be for costs in fiscal 2004, which starts on Oct. 1 of this year. Former White House budget director Mitch Daniels has said the major combat came in under budget and the administration will not seek additional funds for the Iraq war in the current fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30.

Pace told the committee that the U.S. force in Iraq is just under its peak of 151,000 combat troops and that the number will not be reduced in the foreseeable future. He said military officials want to build a 60,000-strong Iraqi police force to free U.S. troops for other duties. U.S. troops are now guarding 500 sites and conducting 2,300 patrols a night, Pace said.

Wolfowitz urged Congress to vote for money to train Iraqi and Afghan troops, both to ease the burden on U.S. forces and to free them for other duties, including "a possible contingency in Korea."

Tom Squitieri, USA Today

In case you were wondering, if that holds true, that is $540 billion for a ten year occupation of Iraq.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten years?!!
That not only will cost us billions, but think of all the soldiers we're gonna lose "keeping the peace!"

--------------------
Meh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think Wolfowitz is just a little around the bend.

Nevertheless, the Kennedy and Reagan tax cuts both proved that tax cuts produce wealth, and thereby (paradoxically, it would seem to most) increase government tax revenues. Weird, to have the Liberal and Conservative icons both showing us the same thing.

Note the heavy use of "did not dispute (insert speculation here)." This means less than it seems to mean. It is futile to dispute a speculation when one does not possess sufficient data.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, wealth for the select few. Because your average Joe Couchpotatoe doesn't stand to gain anywhere near as much as from tax cuts as, say, the board of Enron would.

So. $54 BILLION, eh? Good luck eliminating deficit spending.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
Yeah, wealth for the select few. Because your average Joe Couchpotatoe doesn't stand to gain anywhere near as much as from tax cuts as, say, the board of Enron would.

Given that that same "select few" pay the vast majority of the government's income (the top 10% of earners paying 67.3% of the total income taxes collected, the top 5% paying 56.47% of the total) in the first place, that's as it should be. You can't get back money you don't pay.

And that doesn't include the problems with the Alternative Minimum Tax.

A little education will help keep you from making foolish statements like that.

[Edit to add]: Oh, and I forgot... where exactly does it say that this will result in a need to INCREASE the military budget? Or "deficit spend?" Really. 54 billion out of a 2.028 trillion dollar budget. That's what, 2.6 percent? The national budget itself increased by 3.8% between 2002 and 2003. Assuming a similar (or greater, due to tax cut stimulation) increase next year, no further deficit spending becomes necessary.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic economic planners you have there.

First - There may have been what you call wealth creation". But for what % of the population. Oh and by the way, don't forget what it did to interest rates.

By the way are you seriously suggesting that the Reagan economy was better than the Clinton economy?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Conservative government in Ontario is trying to do precisely what Reagan did.

So far, it will appear that the results are very less than ideal.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to worry. The Conservative Government in Ontario is also about to do what Kim Campbell did.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that? Nothing?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he is refering to self-destructing. Maybe Eves can be the next Ambassador to Disneyland.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten years? U.S. troops are sick of the whole thing already, and it's only been a month or two.

U.S. Troops Frustrated With Role In Iraq

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of taxes...

At least the little idiot got slapped down. While Thatcherite/Republican minimal taxes do little good, neither do super high taxes (bear in mind that at one point the upper tax bracket was actually over 100% of earnings during one of the more left wing Labour governments).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps