Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ohio trucker, AlQaeda helper, pleads guilty (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ohio trucker, AlQaeda helper, pleads guilty
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Ohio Trucker, reportedly part of a plot to bring down New York's Brooklyn Bridge, has agreed to plead guilty to providing material support to a terrorist organization, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft said Thursday.

quote:
Al Qaeda leader Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is in U.S. custody, told interrogators that Faris was ordered to perform surveillance of the Brooklyn Bridge with the ultimate goal of cutting its cables, sources told CNN.
quote:
Faris performed surveillance on the New York bridge, determined security was too tight at the site to succeed and sent a coded e-mail message to al Qaeda to relay that assessment, Ashcroft said.

So, apparently sometimes increased security DOES help...

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless this is really a hoax put out by the Shadow Government (lead by Ashcroft) to justify the whole "Homeland Security" nonsense.

(...takes cover behind wife...) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] Careful, Styro. We have people here just paranoid and US-hating enough to believe that.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
[Roll Eyes] Careful, Styro. We have people here just paranoid and US-hating enough to believe that.

Which is why it's funny. One of the people in my company has "proof" that the whole Bush election/9-11/homeland security thing is really an attempt by "them" to take over.

Never said who "they" were... but his logic is compelling in a bullshit-wacko-psychward kind of way.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I wish they'd come up with a better one, but...
I must say, that plot to bring down the Brooklyn Bridge by cutting its cables is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. It's like something a villian would do in a kid's movie. It obviously would not work, or, if it did, it probably would bring down the bridge at a very slow rate.
And wouldn't somebody NOTICE a guy cutting cables with a blowtorch?
(BTW, the cable-cutting thing isn't new info...they revealed some of Khalid's terror ideas back when he was captured in March...)

And, John Ashcroft, whether he reels in terrorists or not, is still Big Brother. [Big Grin]
I mean, look at those immigrant roundups! And he says he doesn't have ENOUGH power!

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, I have to call Mahmoud about this.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mahmoud in salad bar? he got fired.. haven't seen Ahmed in deli in a while either.. i guess homeland security works.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT WAS GODZILLA!!!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So, apparently sometimes increased security DOES help..."

Very good! You deserve freedom now.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He should plead insanity, living that long in the US is enough to drive anyone crazy.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They talk about all these communications this character had w/ "al Qaeda operatives", but they don't say whether they actually have evidence of any of them. If this guy only says he's been in communication w/ al Qaeda and that he's met bin Laden and so forth, maybe he's just a run-of-the-mill looney. And of cource, Ashcroft would jump at the opportunity to yell "Look! You all thought he was a regular citizen! But he was a TERRORIST! VINDICATION FOR TIPS!".
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Tips backwards is spelled Spit.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
They talk about all these communications this character had w/ "al Qaeda operatives", but they don't say whether they actually have evidence of any of them. If this guy only says he's been in communication w/ al Qaeda and that he's met bin Laden and so forth, maybe he's just a run-of-the-mill looney. And of cource, Ashcroft would jump at the opportunity to yell "Look! You all thought he was a regular citizen! But he was a TERRORIST! VINDICATION FOR TIPS!".

If this were true, though, it seems highly unlikely that a higher-up member of Al-Qaeda, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, would have also identified him, as was clearly stated in the article.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, no, it isn't. What the article says is:
"Sources told CNN that al Qaeda leader Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is in U.S. custody, told his interrogators the target was the 116-year-old Brooklyn Bridge."

So, what is says is that KSM identified the Brooklyn Bridge as a target. It doesn't say that KSM ever said anything about knowing this trucker.

As a matter of fact, it doesn't even really say that KSM said anything. All it says is that "sources" claim he did. So, we have an article on CNN w/ mysterious "sources" who are probably Ashcroftian minions, and you really expect me to take it at face value?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Someone re-wrote the article, because the original artile was written just so:

quote:
Al Qaeda leader Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is in U.S. custody, told interrogators that Faris was ordered to perform surveillance of the Brooklyn Bridge with the ultimate goal of cutting its cables, sources told CNN
And quoted in precisely that manner by me.

Why they would rewrite the article, I don't presume to know, except that maybe a servitor of Nybbas (Demon Prince of the Media, in the "In Nomine" RPG) got to them.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps