Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Yellowcakegate (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yellowcakegate
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, since Watergate, every presidential scandal, even for those who were not even elected, get to have a "gate" after their names.

I posted yeterday, in the now huge 'where are the WMD's' thread, part of an article from Slate that gave it to Mr. Bush for his lie and his administration's handling of the aftermath of that lie. Today, I find, also in Slate, two interesting articles about what makes this lie from Mr. Bush such a scandal.

So Yellowcakegate gets it's own thread.

Read at your leisure.

Yellowcakegate I

Yellowcakegate II

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
Yes, since Watergate, every presidential scandal, even for those who were not even elected, get to have a "gate" after their names.

We had a Cheriegate.

(Cherie is Tony's wife. She made friends with a conman or something.)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yellowcakegate III?

quote:
The officials, speaking to reporters at the Pentagon on condition of anonymity, say the so-called safeguards inspection will include an inventory and an assessment of the condition of some 500 metric tons of uranium "yellowcake" ore, previously stored under U.N. seal at Tuwaitha.

Okay, this stuff can be used to produce nukes, but we're going to leave 500 metric tons of it here because... um... we trust you guys?

Really, I'd love to hear the UN rationale for allowing Iraq to hold on to all this yellowcake.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this thread was about Twinkies.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody said anything about this being Yellowcake-with-a-creamy-filling-gate, Simon. [Smile]

Pretty good Rob, two posts in and you're already off the topic.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What... Isn't the topic about lies and coverups and misdirections concerning yellowcake in Iraq?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US dropped Twinkies on Iraq!?! Now that's INHUMANE!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Rob, at the center of Yellowcakegate is the following quote by Mr. Bush:

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

[ July 17, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

And the Brits continue to assert that this is indeed the case, despite the Niger forgeries, as they claim to have information left unshared with the US that substantiates this.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's have the proof then.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: "I thought this thread was about Twinkies."

Grr, I have yet to try one. The best store for american foodstoughs in Stockholm is Gray's American Foodstore, but the manager couldn't import Twinkies because, according to him, they'd explode on the airplane overseas. [Confused]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Silly customer! You cannot hurt a Twinkie!"
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Empirical evidence has shown me that Twinkies do indeed go stale, a concept that I had held in the same regards as Vulcans once did time travel.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually like Twinkies. But they are Archetypal American Foodstuff, or so I hear on TV.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have not yet gone the way of the donut, which is currently vying for the lead with the Great Pyramids in the cultural icon race.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps