Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What I believe to be the most valuable amendment-the Ninth Amendment

Author Topic: What I believe to be the most valuable amendment-the Ninth Amendment
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ninth Amendment, my paraphrase, says that there are other rights that the people have. The right of privacy has been argued in court as being one of these rights.
IP: Logged
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
must find my copy and look this up.

------------------
WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

(a catchall amandment, which I read as saying "none of these rights shall interfere with other rights." What these rights are, I'm not sure. But it could mean you're not supposed to violate say, the right to privacy in the name of the right to freedom of speech.)

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is the amendment I think it is, the main message is this:

Just because we spelled out some rights does not mean those are all there are.

Basically, just because a right isn't spelled out in the constotution does not mean that it doesn't exist.

------------------
It's good to stir the coals once in a while, if only to see if there's any fire left.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that is why I believe that this amendment is the most important.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going by Baloo's definition, that's how the UK prety-much manages it's own constitution. And we don'thave to spend weeks learning it either.

------------------
'His limbs flail about as if independent from his body!'
-Chandler Bing on Michael Flatley.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps