Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Memo details Iraq / Al-Qaeda connections

Author Topic: Memo details Iraq / Al-Qaeda connections
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THUMP

quote:
Case Closed
From the November 24, 2003 issue: The U.S. government's secret memo detailing cooperation between Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden.
by Stephen F. Hayes
11/24/2003, Volume 009, Issue 11

OSAMA BIN LADEN and Saddam Hussein had an operational relationship from the early 1990s to 2003 that involved training in explosives and weapons of mass destruction, logistical support for terrorist attacks, al Qaeda training camps and safe haven in Iraq, and Iraqi financial support for al Qaeda--perhaps even for Mohamed Atta--according to a top secret U.S. government memorandum

quote:
The memo, dated October 27, 2003, was sent from Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Douglas J. Feith to Senators Pat Roberts and Jay Rockefeller, the chairman and vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. It was written in response to a request from the committee as part of its investigation into prewar intelligence claims made by the administration. Intelligence reporting included in the 16-page memo comes from a variety of domestic and foreign agencies, including the FBI, the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Central Intelligence Agency, and the National Security Agency. Much of the evidence is detailed, conclusive, and corroborated by multiple sources. Some of it is new information obtained in custodial interviews with high-level al Qaeda terrorists and Iraqi officials, and some of it is more than a decade old. The picture that emerges is one of a history of collaboration between two of America's most determined and dangerous enemies.

I do SO enjoy being right.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A year ago, this might have been more believeable. Now, it sounds like they're trying to cover for themselves.

"Iraq was helping al Qaeda!"
"Really? What's your evidence?"
"Uh... Uh..."
*five months later*
"Here it is!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why was something that could be used as Bush's justification kept a secret anyway....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sticking with the theme of writing out sounds....

*Thwack*

DoD Statement on News Reports of al-Qaida and Iraq Connections

Which starts with this damaging quote:

quote:
News reports that the Defense Department recently confirmed new information with respect to contacts between al-Qaida and Iraq in a letter to the Senate Intelligence Committee are inaccurate.
And later adds:

quote:
The items listed in the classified annex were either raw reports or products of the CIA, the NSA, or, in one case, the DIA. The provision of the classified annex to the Intelligence Committee was cleared by other agencies and done with the permission of the Intelligence Community. The selection of the documents was made by DOD to respond to the Committee�s question. The classified annex was not an analysis of the substantive issue of the relationship between Iraq and al Qaida, and it drew no conclusions.
Which rather makes your thump ring more like a hollow thud.

Other things to read on the subject:

A quick note on Stephen Hayes new article Iraq-al Qaida link story, �Case Closed�, in the Weekly Standard.

The Weakest Link

Think Again: Finding the Whole Truth

CIA Finds No Evidence Hussein Sought to Arm Terrorists

Crisis Of Feith

You might want to read up before being posting.

[ November 17, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see...

The DoD Statement is the standard leaked info damage-control, the second article is admittedly uncertain and concludes with a "wait and see" statement that almost disavows everything that was said before it, (can just come back later and say 'well, I said I wasn't an analyst!') and the other articles don't mention this information at all.

Fortunately, I have a left-handed smoke shifter for just such an occasion.

continuing the sound effects...

*Crinkle-crinkle-crinkle*
*Tosssss... thwup*
2 points!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this reminds me of something Scotty said, just before leaving the holodeck in "Relics".
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, DoD issues a specific statement calling the article innacurate and all you got is damage control.

Riiight. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I found that this memo is mentioned on a few other sites...

RushLimbaugh.com
The Washington Times
FOX News
And, of course, The Borneo Bulletin and The Straits Times of Singapore.

But, that's just background info. This is another--poor--attempt to justify the war by saying Iraq and al-Qaeda had connections. If this info was accurate, why weren't we given it before the war? Why were we just told there were al-Qaeda camps in northern Iraq (out of Saddam's reach) and that a suspect in the assassination of an American diplomat in Jordan got medical treatment in Baghdad (a 100%, proof-positive sign SH & OBL were in cahoots!).

And while we're on the subject of terrorists and Iraq, don't you realize there are now more terrorists inside Iraq now than there were before the war? That there have been just about as many suicide bombings in Iraq than in Israel since the start of the year?

--------------------
Meh

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's be honest. At this point we aren't justifying, we're rationalizing.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I suppose that's more accurate.

--------------------
Meh

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Case Decidedly Not Closed

Nov. 19 � A leaked Defense Department memo claiming new evidence of an �operational relationship� between Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein�s former regime is mostly based on unverified claims that were first advanced by some top Bush administration officials more than a year ago�and were largely discounted at the time by the U.S. intelligence community, according to current and former U.S. intelligence officials.

----

With a few, inconclusive exceptions, the memo doesn�t actually contain much �new� intelligence at all. Instead, it mostly recycles shards of old, raw data that were first assembled last year by a tiny team of floating Pentagon analysts (led by a Pennsylvania State University professor and U.S. Navy analyst Christopher Carney) whom Feith asked to find evidence of an Iraqi-Al Qaeda �connection� in order to better justify a U.S. invasion.
Within the U.S. intelligence establishment, the predominant view�then as now�is that the Feith-Carney case was murky at best. Culling through intelligence files, the Feith team indeed found multiple �reports� of alleged meetings between Iraqi officials and Al Qaeda operatives dating back to the early 1990s when Osama first set up shop in Sudan. But many of these reports were old, uncorroborated and came from sources of unknown if not dubious credibility, U.S. intelligence officials say. (Not unlike, as it has turned out, much of the �reporting� on Iraq�s ever-elusive weapons of mass destruction.) Moreover, other reports�some of which came foreign intelligence services and Iraqi defectors�were selectively presented by the Feith team and are, as one U.S. official told NEWSWEEK, �contradicted by other things.�

----

None of this means, of course, that all accounts of Iraqi-Al Qaeda connections should be completely dismissed. The memo, for example, makes brief reference to the intriguing case of Ahmad Hikmat Shakir, a Malaysia-based Iraqi national who, purportedly through the aid of an Iraq embassy employee, landed a job at the Kuala Lumpur airport and then served as greeter and driver for two of the September 11 hijackers, Khalid Almihdhar and Nawaf Alhazmi. The two men flew to the city for a crucial Al Qaeda planning session in January 2000. FBI documents obtained by NEWSWEEK more than a year ago show that U.S. law enforcement had a great deal of interest in interrogating Shakir in the months following September 11. After being picked up, first by Qatari intelligence and later by Jordanians, he was twice released�without the FBI ever getting a crack at him. He then flew off to Iraq, where he has never been seen since. U.S. military and intelligence officials are still looking for him to this day, sources say, and for good reason.
But all this is a far cry from solid evidence of ongoing cooperation between Saddam and Osama. The outing of the memo (a still classified document, as it happens) is likely now to become the subject of yet another Justice Department leak investigation. The CIA is expected to begin preparing a �crimes report� identifying the potential damage to national security (most likely pretty minimal). But there can be little doubt about the motive of the leaker: to shore up the Bush administration�s prewar claims and defuse the intelligence committee investigation into allegations of the misuse of intelligence. Unfortunately, for the Pentagon and the Standard, the claims detailed in the memo will do little, if anything, to advance the case.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a copy of a leaked Document detailing that aliens were recovered from crash in New Mexico in the 1950's.

In other words, without the actual documentation and an official aknowledgment of both it's contents and sources, it means fuck-all.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a leaked document that Osama has become allies with a Hitler clone in Argentina that is living as a woman that was abducted by space aliens and impregnated with DNA from Karl Marx and is cohabitting with Elvis and who is secretly on the New World Order council of JFK who is the vice emperor to the true leader of this world....Kevin Bacon.

I don't trust what ANYONE says if I didn't witness it myself.

Never trust a Vulcan or a Minbari.... when they say they don't lie you realize that Bill Clinton is their father.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps