Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » WHITEWASH! The Musical. . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WHITEWASH! The Musical. . .
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I wonder what all these Iraqi sources were getting in return.

They were probably "getting" the fuck outta dodge with their families and possibly a little cash to start over.
No winning lottery ticket or anything and definitely not the cherry package we gave certain german rocket scientists and physists at the end of WWII.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really are getting old, Lee. Either that, or you've swallowed a Daily Mail at some point.

I wonder where the 45 minute thing came from anyway?

"Shall we say they can launch in 30 minutes?"

"30 minutes? Don't be silly! Who'd believe such a short time? Fool!"

"Okay, how about 50 minutes?"

"Idiot! 50 minutes is far too long! No-one will panic over that amount of time!"

"45?"

"Perfect."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 45 minute window o' terror is really an hour: you forgot CNN's commercial breaks.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am Colonel in Republican Guard!"

"What, another one? That's three this week. Hit the road, buddy."

"But. . . er, I know where are WMDs!"

"Oh, why didn't you say so? Here, have a visa. Now, can you point to their location on a map? But keep your eyes open, the last guy pointed to the middle of the Gulf. If you're going to miss Iraq completely, at least try to hit Syria."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3458541.stm

Looks like some people are less than convinced...

quote:
Amid heckles, Mr Blair joked: "I somehow feel I am not being entirely persuasive in certain quarters."
Nice he can still joke, isn't it?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, give him time, the joke will be on us in the end. . .

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and talking of jokes...

quote:
Fears over WMD were a cornerstone of the government's case for war with Iraq.

But the prime minister said on Wednesday he had not known what sort of weapons were being referred to at the time of the Commons vote on 18 March 2003.

quote:
Tory foreign affairs spokesman Michael Ancram said later Mr Blair's response raised "serious questions about what the government knew when Britain went to war with Iraq".
Makes you wonder if He actually read all the dossier or just the summary in the Sun.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
Member # 393

And he's about the only one too. We all knew there weren't going to be any intercontinental ballistic missiles!

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Across the pond, as they say, the music is just starting for our play...and it sounds like there may be some discordant notes.

quote:
Bush sets narrow limits on inquiry
Critics urge broader scope for Iraq panel

WASHINGTON -- President Bush has established a narrow charge for his new independent commission on U.S. intelligence capabilities, directing the panel to focus on flawed prewar intelligence assessments of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and other nations.

But the commission may quickly find itself pressured to explore broader events and discussions that formed the tangle of spy data and policymaking leading up to the March 20 invasion of Iraq.

Those uncharted lines of inquiry that administration critics are urging the group to address include:

- The role of Vice President Dick Cheney and his staff, including Cheney's visits to the CIA to review intelligence reports and his trips to Capitol Hill to describe, in closed briefings, the prewar dangers posed by Iraq.

- The role of George Tenet, the director of central intelligence, who in an impassioned defense of his agency and its work Thursday said Bush "gets his intelligence from one person and one community--me."

- The reliance on questionable human sources, including Iraqi defectors and foreign opposition leaders, who had much to gain from U.S. intervention.

- The role of the Pentagon, especially its consumption of intelligence reports by newly established groups such as the Office of Special Plans, which was formed to plan for postwar Iraq. Like Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was a strident proponent for ending the regime of dictator Saddam Hussein, once saying of Iraq's weapons: "We know where they are." Rumsfeld explained to the Senate last week that he meant the U.S. knew where Iraq's weapons sites were located--not the weapons themselves.

- The objections raised by those within the administration, particularly at the State Department, where a good bit of the intelligence on Iraq was discounted as untrustworthy.

Stephen J. Hedges, The Chicago Tribune

And...

quote:
Well, the fix, as they say, is in.

Here's the executive order the president just signed authorizing his commission which he "established for the
purpose of advising the President in the discharge of his

constitutional authority under Article II of the Constitution to conduct foreign relations, protect national security, and command the Armed Forces of the United States, in order to ensure the most effective counter-proliferation capabilities of the United States and response to the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the ongoing threat of terrorist activity."

The commission doesn't appear to have any subpoena power, only the right to "full and complete access to information relevant to its mission as described in section 2 of this order."

If I read this right -- and needless to say I'm no lawyer, notwithstanding that summer in grad school I wasted prepping for the LSAT -- what's 'relevant' is at the discretion of the department heads of the various executive branch agencies.

And if you read the "mission" as defined in the order it seems narrowly framed as looking at pre-war CIA analyses (actually the whole Intelligence Community) and how they stack up against what Kay's guys found on the ground after the war.

Anything the White House did with those CIA analyses, any fisticuffs between the Veep's office and the CIA, anything stovepiped through Doug Feith's operation at the Pentagon, anything that made its way from Chalabi's mumbo-jumbocrats to the the president's speechwriters -- that's all beyond their brief.

Josh Marshall, Talking Points Memo

Emphasis added.

And...

quote:
QUESTIONING THE COMMISSION'S SCOPE: The President's decision to only support a WMD commission whose scope may be limited and which only reports after the election is facing serious criticism. AP reports, "Current and former U.S officials said they fear that Bush will try to limit the inquiry's scope to the CIA and other agencies and ignore the key role the Bush administration's own internal intelligence efforts played." The officials "said that intelligence efforts led by Vice President Dick Cheney magnified the errors through exaggeration, oversights and mistaken deductions." Similarly, Knight-Ridder reports current and former officials said, "What went wrong with intelligence on Iraq will never be known unless the inquiry examines secret intelligence efforts led by Vice President Dick Cheney and Pentagon hawks." Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wrote to Bush that, "One of the major questions that needs to be addressed is whether senior administration officials, including members of the Cabinet and senior White House officials, misled Congress and the public about the nature of the threat from Iraq...Even some of your own statements and those of Vice President Cheney need independent scrutiny." Former weapons inspector David Kay, with whom the President met yesterday, agreed, saying, "the commission should look into everything."

QUESTIONING THE COMMISSION'S INDEPENDENCE: The Pelosi-Daschle letter also raised serious questions about why the White House says the commission will be independent yet is appointing all of the commissioners itself. The letter said, "A commission appointed and controlled by the White House will not have the independence or the credibility necessary to investigate these issues." Joseph Cirincione of the non-partisan Carnegie Endowment for Peace "said the commission would not be truly bipartisan or independent because Mr. Bush would appoint its members and define its scope." He said, "I just spoke to the staff of 30 senior Democrats and none of their staff have been consulted on this panel. The President is trying to dig a defensive line to stop the damage. If he does it right, the commission can help him but, if he does it wrong, it will make it worse."

The Center for American Progress, The Progress Report

There are several links to other articles on the page.

Time to get out the paint brush and help Tom and Huck paint the fence.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...his new independent commission...

Yeah. Just as "independent" as the justice department's investigation into the Wilson leak was.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

...and now the Tories withdraw from the Butler inquiry

quote:
Michael Howard said Lord Butler's interpretation of the inquiry's terms of reference were "unacceptably restrictive".
quote:
His argument was not with the remit agreed for the inquiry but with Lord Butler's interpretation of it.

The Lib Dems have already declined to take part in the review because they thought its guidelines too narrow.

Mr Blair called the inquiry after mounting pressure caused by the failure to find any WMD stockpiles in Iraq, the American decision to hold an inquiry and the remarks of former weapons inspector David Kay.

At the time the Tories believed its remit covered the way intelligence was used before the war, saying that meant politicians' actions would be investigated.

But the inquiry committee later made clear it would concentrate "principally on structures, systems and processes rather than on the actions of individuals".

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps