Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Used To Be... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Used To Be...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...one would try to avoid the appearance of impropriety if you were, say, a Supreme Court justice or the vice-president.

Now, they just don't care.

quote:
Scalia Was Cheney Hunt Trip Guest; Ethics Concern Grows

PATTERSON, La. � Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia traveled as an official guest of Vice President Dick Cheney on a small government jet that served as Air Force Two when the pair came here last month to hunt ducks.

The revelation cast further doubts about whether Scalia can be an impartial judge in Cheney's upcoming case before the Supreme Court, legal ethics experts said. The hunting trip took place just weeks after the high court agreed to take up Cheney's bid to keep secret the details of his energy policy task force. According to those who met them at the small airstrip here, the justice and the vice president flew from Washington on Jan. 5 and were accompanied by a second, backup Air Force jet that carried staff and security aides to the vice president.

...and I just LOVED the next paragraph, it's a classic...

quote:
Two military Black Hawk helicopters were brought in and hovered nearby as Cheney and Scalia were whisked away in a heavily guarded motorcade to a secluded, private hunting camp owned by an oil industry businessman.
In one paragraph, you have a sitting justice going on a hunting trip with the VP who has a case pending before the Court AND they went to the private hunting camp owned by someone in the oil industry.

Rarely, if ever, does it get any better than that.

quote:
The Times previously reported that the two men hunted ducks together while the case was pending, but it wasn't clear then that they had traveled together or that Scalia had accompanied Cheney on Air Force Two.

Several experts in legal ethics questioned whether Scalia should decide the case.

"In my view, this further ratchets it up. If the vice president is the source of generosity, it means Scalia is accepting a gift of some value from a litigant in a case before him," said New York University law professor Stephen Gillers.

"It is not just a trip with a litigant. It's a trip at the expense of the litigant. This is an easy case for stepping aside."

David G. Savage and Richard A. Serrano, The Los Angeles Times

Impropriety, schimpropriety.

Such is the way things go I guess. I should stop complaining about the inbred power structure, be a good little consumer, and let them get on with their job of making money and running the world.

[ February 05, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, you spelled "ruining" wrong ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, sorry.

I should let them get on with their job of "ruining" the world.

Good catch, Snay.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

The Center for American Progress addes this comment...

quote:
(On top of this, remember that Cheney's case in front of the Supreme Court deals in part with how much influence the oil industry may have had in the creation of Cheney's Energy bill? The private hunting camp is owned by wealthy oilman "Wallace Carline, the head of Diamond Services Corp., an oil services firm that is on 41 acres of waterfront property in Amelia, La. The company provides oil dredging, pile driving, salvage work, fabrication, pipe-rolling capability and general oilfield construction.")

The Progress Report

What good is it to have powerful friends who are president and vice-president if you can't take advantage of them?

Our government...it's a thing of beauty.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It is not just a trip with a litigant. It's a trip at the expense of the litigant. This is an easy case for stepping aside."

Stepping aside? Stepping down, more like. You don't take a bribe, then, when you get caught, just say "Okay, I was naughty. I won't decide the case.". You get disbarred is what you do.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scalia has a long history of siding with big business in his court voting so this (unfortunately) comes as no suprise.

The real problem is that Supreme Court justices are appointed for life: we should really change that....but it'd never get past the Supreme Court.
Sigh.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless an administration were to select a batch of judges not so readily beholden to either party, of course. Yeah, I know, big fucking sigh.

What was the rationale behind lifetime appointments, again? Something about lifting the court above mundane political affairs like, oh, partisanship?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can an administration select a "batch" of judges?
They have to wait untill a Supreme Court justice retires or croaks...almost never two in the same year....and then here's all the selection processes.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do seem to remember reading about a couple of the senior Justices, both Republican appointees, who were quite public about their desperation for the next President to be a Republican so, when they retired as they planned to do fairly soon, they could be assured that their seats would be taken by other Republicans. This was before the 2000 election. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall a judge whose name escapes me at the moment ... he was appointed by Reagan I think, and had always been very conservative ... stuck him on the bench, turned out to be a flaming liberal.

Lee, similar sentiments have been expressed by both liberal and wrongo judges.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real problem is that Supreme Court justices are appointed for life: we should really change that....but it'd never get past the Supreme Court.

Hm. A cursory viewing of the Constituion doesn't seem to preclude term limits for justices. Interesting, I always thought that life terms were in there. I agree, though, we do need to eliminate life terms for ANY job. How 'bout this: nine year terms, staggered so that one is removed and replaced every year. And no possibility for reappointment.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And who would hear that case????

Politics is a crappy subject....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you have no idea; I'm having to sit through two hours of feminism a week. Now, that's crappy. Although I do get to do facism as well, which is slightly better.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you get combining the two of them???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hillary Clinton?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps