Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Why quack medicine seems to work...

Author Topic: Why quack medicine seems to work...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The below rant was originally written as a response to the "uneccessary drugs" thread, but I got off topic. I think there are valid theraputic uses for the placebo effect, and there are valid reasons people sometimes require behavior-modifying medications.

With regard to placebos, the effect is real, even if the medecine isn't.

A link to a very good description of the placebo effect: http://skepdic.com/placebo.html .

In my case, cigarrettes may have been the source of a very strong placebo effect. When I smoked 'em, I felt a little more in control, a little more relaxed, etc. When I quit, I discovered that the nicotine patches supplied to me (the most powerful ones made) were having no discernable effect. I can't believe that smoke and carbon monoxide could be responsible for the sensations I got from smoking. If it wasn't the nicotine, then it must have been the expectation that when I lit one up, I'd feel a certain way.

Who knew?

--Baloo

------------------
I prefer the company of those who aim low and overshoot the mark
to those who aim at heaven and shoot their fellow man in the head.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on May 23, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pavlov.

The difference being that you've successfully overcome said effect.

------------------
"Don't call me at work again. Oh no, the boss still hates me. I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore, and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go...I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare."
--
They Might Be Giants

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the belief of 'faith healing'. You believe that you'll get better, so you do feel better. With me, when I'm ill, I may make an appointment at the doctors, but when I'm about to go, I nearly always start to feel better. It's the power of positive thinking for lack of putting it another way.

In ancient times, illness used to be seen as caused by evil spirits, so they used to cut holes in peoples heads to release the spirits. The people however didn't die, but got better because archaeological evidence shows that the wounds were regenerating, so the subject must have lived for a while after the operation.

Positive thinking - a remarkable medicine.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps