Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » SEP11 Panel Hearings - Covert Action Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SEP11 Panel Hearings - Covert Action Question
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would also imagine that some of those names probably showed up on a Al-Queida type members watch list.
Not that I've ever heard.
In fact, all signs point to there being a isturbing lack of a "watch list" from suspected terrorist groups.
A biiig failing unto itself to be sure.

Hmmm...lets see...the hijackers were mostly saudis, two had been to (or lived in Iraq), we had no files on these guys placing them as potential terrorists -or as anything other than flight students and we'd been to war with a major player in the muslim world.

I sure dont think checking out Saddam's potential involvment a day after the attack was anything other than thourogh and I find Clarke's recall highly suspect as to his supposedly knowing it was Al Queida less than a day later.
Clarke's comments in his bok contradict many statments he himself gave to reporters and is now saying that he "told them what I was told to say".

And in an election year.

As he releases a new book that (suprise!) the #1 best seller because of all the coverage.

I'm sad to say that two of the 9/11 terrorists had used computers at my work to send e-mail (kinko's in Fort lauderdale) and it took the FBI almost a whole month to show up, sieze the harddrives and return them to us two weeks later completely wiped.

That tells me firsthand that they were still gathering evidence and establishing connections a while after the attack.

But Clarke was supposdly sure it was Al Queida less than 24 hours later...at a time when ALL leads were being considered.

I plan on reading Clarke's book -to get his POV, but that recount doesnt fit any other account of the investigation that I've heard.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your speculation meets mine.

Which one is right...I could speculate.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don�t think it�s unreasonable for an Al Queida expert to be adamant that a terror attack on U.S. soil happened apparently as he warned it might.

Listen, none of this really means all that much. I suspect that if you think you�re going to find the truth from any public hearing in Congress on the subject of 9/11, then you�re sorely mistaken. About the only thing it tells me, taken with all the other information relating to the attack, the aftermath and the Bush administration response, is the Mr. Bush should not be running as a anti-terror war president.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
About the only thing it tells me, taken with all the other information relating to the attack, the aftermath and the Bush administration response, is the Mr. Bush should not be running as a anti-terror war president.

Judging by his political campaign commercials, he's not.

It's odd that Clarke worked for Bush Sr. and Clinton: the 9/11 commision was very critical of their "head in the sand" policies towards a potential terrorist attack: even after the ATF building was attacked.

It may just be human nature to say "I told you so" and to downplay one's own role when the ball is dropped, I suppose.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's human nature to be rather attached to one's head.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Judging by his political campaign commercials, he's not.
You gathered that from his non-use of the World Trade Center in one of his first ads?

Oh, wait, the ad contained images of the flag draped bodies from Ground Zero.

And then was another ad with a swarthy brown fellow, read terrorist, looking over his shoulder at us...and a picture of a plane taking off.

And there was Mr. Bush on "Meet the Press," telling the world he was a war president who sat in the oval office making those tough decisions about terror.

So, yeah, Mr. Bush is off and running as your basic anti-terror war president.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I don't remember asking about who was to blame or any of this Republican/Democrat agenda/anti-agenda BS. My question was more about CIA covert action, political restrictions, and how our democratic society can maintain it's security and integrity. Less finger-pointing, less political-grandstanding, more figuring-out-how-to-make-country-safer.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ask about the panel hearings and you're stuck with all the partisan crap hat is now attached to it, i'm afraid.

Jay, i havent seen the commercials you're talking about-although I heard they pissed off many families of 9/11 victims, so mabye they pulled them.

The ads I've seen are all about our shiney happy economic figures, home ownership rates and his "plan for a safe future".

...and the ones attacking Kerry, of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Here, you can watch till your heart is content: http://www.georgewbush.com/tvads/

Ads "Safer, Stronger," and "Tested" use images of the World Trade Center and "Safer, Stronger" has what appears to be a flag draped body removed from Ground Zero at some point in the process.

The ad "100 Days" contains the brown terrorist type person and the airplane image.

Here is a picture of the ad in question:
 -

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American political adverts continue astonish and astound me.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...more figuring-out-how-to-make-country-safer."

Well, it's a juggling act. An intelligence agency that's kept on a tight leash won't actually be capable of delivering much intelligence, and I think we all know the dangers of granting one too broad discretionary powers. But living in a democracy means living in an open society and accepting that things are going to slip through the cracks from time to time, and as someone wiser than me once said, if you're willing to sell your freedom and integrity to buy your security and seal those cracks, you don't deserve either.

Which isn't to say you deserve airliners being flown into your office buildings, but Franklin had a point that has become all too clear over the last three years.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Regarding the administration and Mr. Clarke...

quote:
There has been much hand-wringing about how partisan the discussions of Sept. 11 have become over the past week. But Clarke did not create the partisanship, and it was not born last week. An administration that had a united country behind it after Sept. 11 spent two years playing politics very hard to push back all challenges. If the administration had been less defensive earlier about what went wrong, it would not be facing such a serious and awkwardly timed mess now.

E. J. Dionne Jr., The Washington Post

It's hard to argue with that.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, because the Post is known for objective anything.

As someone that actually followed the 9/11 hearings before Clarke's book, I can tell you that it was refreshing in it's fact based presentation.

But not after the book hit shelves: now any facts and reccomendations are drown out by Kerry attacking Rice and it's 1800's salem instead of an objective investigation of what is known to have actually happened.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Yeah, because the Post is known for objective anything.
And that has what to do with anything?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Only that it sure would be nice to be able to read a quote from a news source without having to filter out their political spin.

If I find one, I'll let you know. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps