Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » So I read Bryce's NASA email and...

Author Topic: So I read Bryce's NASA email and...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Stands up, waves printou around in clenched fist*
*Romulan Senator Voice*

IT'S A FAKE!

*End RSV*

It's the old saw about NASA folks using a computer and discovering a "missing day," which could ONLY be accounted for by Biblical references.

I think this hoax goes back to the days when folks didn't have their own computers and astronomy programs like Sky 2000 and such, and only NASA guys had computers capable of computing the positions of the planets and stars back thousands of years.

It's hogwash, you can buy a program and check it yourself. Even if there WERE a "missing day" which I seriously doubt, it could be caused by anything from the slow slowing down of the rotation of the Earth to the various inaccurate calendars we've had over the years.

But the BIG clincher is that this "one day" discrepancy would be found at all. I mean, we don't even know what day of the week (or what season OR year, for that matter) Jesus was born, calendars just weren't that accurate then. So HOW could we find a one-day discrepancy among records over 2000 MORE years older?

To quote the good Dr. McCoy...
"In a pig's eye!"

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you want another good laugh I think I have some more that can be disproven.

------------------
2 FINALS REMAINING! College is taken care of, summer job; check, now if I could get that girl back to her old self.

Oh, and that sig.file. :)

Wheelersburg Correctional Facility
#05301999-1382

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you people would just listen to me, we could have skipped all this. But no...

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hasn't the foggiest what persons are talking about. Missing day y'what?

In lieu of wise comment then, I insert a raspberry.
8P

------------------
"Now then, I believe Random Pavarotti disease is a psychological ailment and we should find it in the otherworldliness of Vince's brain."
"Ohw, rubbish. I reckon Random Pavarotti disease is a physical condition......
Let's go and look at 'is bum!"

-Rex the Runt

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8P8P8P8P8P8P8P8P8P8P8P8P8P.

------------------
PARTURITION

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest thing I can't believe is that thhe even found the 1 day! I mean, if the story was true then that is the only proven way to explain it. If it was true, I'd think it wouldn't be a gov't secret for long and then a lot of people would be converted.

------------------
2 FINALS REMAINING! College is taken care of, summer job; check, now if I could get that girl back to her old self.

Oh, and that sig.file. :)

#05301999-1382

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if there were a "missing day" in discrepancy between the calendar 4000 years ago and the time shown on the astronomical charts, the most likely explanation would be that the calendar 4000 years ago was a bit off on its measurements.

Also, if the rotation of the Earth ceased and/or reversed, as supposed by the "earth-holding" throry, it would almost certainly have a disastrous effect on life in a very short time.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

If God did do that and I believe He did, He would have made sure no one was hurt. He is God after all, He can bend the rules cause He created them.

------------------

Oh, and that sig.file.

#05301999-1382

[This message was edited by bryce on May 21, 1999.]

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If God bends the rules, what message does that send to us? That we can bend them too.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Gives up on this thread*
I am still in the dark here. You can't have a missing day, that's crazy talk. That's gonna get you a slap in the face with a freshly caught salmon.

*slopp- Thwack!*

------------------
"Now then, I believe Random Pavarotti disease is a psychological ailment and we should find it in the otherworldliness of Vince's brain."
"Ohw, rubbish. I reckon Random Pavarotti disease is a physical condition......
Let's go and look at 'is bum!"

-Rex the Runt

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bring two references to the above theory.

http://www.urbanlegends.com/science/missing_day.html

and

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970325g.html

The first link references "How To Live Like A King's Kid", a book I read many years ago. It's bogus books about the faith that lend credence to the theory that we Christians are a bunch of dangerous idiots.

I beg to differ. If I'm dangerous, it ain't 'cos I'm an idiot!

------------------
I prefer the company of those who aim low and overshoot the mark
to those who aim at heaven and shoot their fellow man in the head.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps