Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The case of Brian Hughley, TX (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The case of Brian Hughley, TX
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As a subordinate, other than the egregious 'shoot the baby in the head order,' you don't have a say...nor should you."

Well, I suppose that's where the question lies, isn't it? Where is the line drawn? Shooting babies? Burning villages? Fighting a war based on lies?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The line is drawn at your sphere of responsibility.

Things that are directly decided by you are within your decision making ability (like the safety of those under your command or the guys in your squad) but "big picture" questions are NOT on your list of things you'd have any say in.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not about how much say Joe Grunt should have in decisions concerning The Big Picture, it's about what he should do when he finds out said Big Picture is in breach of the military code of conduct and what kind of breach would warrant doing it.

And while independent thought may be anathema in the service, a soldier who abides by criminal decisions is still just as guilty as the people who make them, so, again, where is the line drawn?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason Abbadon: "but 'big picture' questions are NOT on your list of things you'd have any say in."

Not in the decision-making, sure, but any soldier should have a right to act on his conscience or consider his motives.

Say an american soldier of Puerto Rican descent starts his military career, then suddenly a crisis develops in Puerto Rico and his squad is sent down to a village close to his relatives' and get ordered to stifle demonstrating crowds (that may or may not hold the moral higher ground) "by any means necessary", because some landowner or businessman with foreign diplomatic pull demands it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, NO soldier in the US military is going to be ordered- or would be required to follow any orders, according to military code- to fire on demonstrators.

I dont know where you get your ideas of the US military, but they arent killers and dont serve landowners or businessmen- or even politicians.

Cartman wrote:
quote:
This is not about how much say Joe Grunt should have in decisions concerning The Big Picture, it's about what he should do when he finds out said Big Picture is in breach of the military code of conduct and what kind of breach would warrant doing it.

And while independent thought may be anathema in the service, a soldier who abides by criminal decisions is still just as guilty as the people who make them, so, again, where is the line drawn?

No, not really: the military code prohibits killing civillians that pose no direct threat to the safety of the soldiers and- as shown in Iraq-
US soldiers have restraint enough to refrain from firing on civillians even when rocks and bottles are being thrown at them.

The same cant be said for many other military groups (Israel, anyone?).

A soldier is not responsible for the decisions of his country's leaders: he's sworn an oath to serve and defend his country and that's exactly what he's required to do.

Look at WWII: soldiers that had nothing to do with the killing of the Jews-
Those men that were just serving their country, were not prosecuted after the war ended.

Brian Hughley is not refusing to serve because he thinks there's human rights violations being comitted (in fact, there's a huge amount of world scrutiny on our military right now).
He's shirking his duty and deserves whatever sentence a military court chooses to impose: he agreed to those terms when he enlisted, and if he didint think things through....tough.
He's an adult.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 dead in OHIO

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little known fact:

I was a shortstop for the Atlanta Braves but I quit the team when it was announced we would play the New York Yankees. I didn't sign up to play AL teams.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because the recruiter said one thing doesn't mean that the Drill Seargents didn't correct that idea....

Hell, almost 20 years ago when I went to infantry basic they asked us if what we read on our orders was what the recruiters 'promised', if not, too bad, unless it was a schoolmof some sort, than go see corporal so-in-so to see if there was a problem....

Of course, having enlisted in the infantry I kind of figured that if a war happened I would have had to fight and maybe die in it.....

Fucking pansy assed bitch......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean "4 dead in Ohio", Grokca?
4 deserters?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, 4 nasty assed protesting college (Kent State) students stood in front of the Ohio National Guardsmen and were shot for it....

Actually, I think that they weren't even with the protesters, just kind of in the wrong place at the wrong time....

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the kids killed at Kent State was a protestor. The other three were not.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Well, hell, I was three-quarters right.....

It's better than Meatloaf did with 2 out 3...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Bad shit from 30 years ago does not equal bad shit going to happen today.

If the military in Iraq was going to kill protestors, they'd be knee deep in blood by now.
These guys might be young but they're pros: well trained and disciplined.

If someone was throwing rocks or bricks at my jeep and I had a gun, I might at least fire a warning shot: these guys are cool enough under pressure not to even do that.

Dont let the press hype machine fool you into thinking Iraq is another Vietnam situation where platoons are unsupervised and capable of doing whatever the fuck they want: it's very structured over there from what my friends that are serving tell me.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"If the military in Iraq was going to kill protestors, they'd be knee deep in blood by now.

Well, I'm not going to say they're killing protestors. But "knee deep in blood" may not be far off from the truth. After all, in a year, we've already accumulated 700 deaths and 3800 woundings on the American side. Something tells me the Iraqi body count is quite a bit higher.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps