Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What Liberal Media Was That Again? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What Liberal Media Was That Again?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you made that claim by stating that Sinclair "and it's just plain wrong for Sinclair Broadcast Group to make that decision for 24% of America." when in fact it's likely less than one tenth of one of those 24% at best.

Splitting hairs...

I agree that their deciding not to broadcast this sets a bad precedent but it's highlighting the underlying problem that the FCC has allowed this kind of unfair semi-monopolization of television.

At the same time though, it's their station and it's their right to air something else instead of programming that might be deemed offensive by the programming department- people actually paid to forecast audience reactions.

Would you still be upset about it if Nightline was pulled on that night by ABC themselves for the same reasons as Sinclair?
Doesnt Sinclair have at least some say in what it's stations broadcast?

Should there be more choices for news coverage?
Sure! Dozens in fact!
Oh wait, there are!

The rollcall of the fallen soldiers is not cassified info or anything and a simple search will yield numerous stories on the people that have died.

Just because FOX and CNN dont show pictures of returning caskets or the corpses of the dead doesnt mean that nothings being reported or that Nightline's list is new information.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone's interested, here are some other tricks Sinclair has pulled in the past. My favorite is when they aired fake news stories that the Bush administration had created with public funds.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intresting stuff, but I'd like to see it from a real news-site.
One that can go a paragraph or two without cute quotes like:
quote:
Wolfowitz should be strapped into the chair, Clockwork Orange style.
I'm not saying the claims arent true, just that I want to see these supposed facts from somewhere more objective.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Captain Contrary, click through...click through the links to see where the information came from. [Wink]

The comment in question was from the blogger, Atrios.

I linked to the Center for American Progress page in an earlier post. They are the ones making the claims.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A website even less impartial than Rush Limbaugh.

Grreeeeat.

How about something showing where this information is actually coming from?

Something that cites real people, established, verified figures, FCC invigation for wrongdoing, or even a major newspaper article.

This actually sounds sensible:
quote:
"If they wanted to do a program on, is the cost of this war in human life worth it, and discuss that issue and explain the benefit of what [the U.S.] is doing and what the cost has been and allow people to comment on it, that public debate we would welcome.

"But without any context and any discussion of why we're there and why these lives are being sacrificed, it will unduly influence people," Faber said.

If that's their point of view, it sure sounds reasonable to me.

The whole article as linked by your site:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55041-2004Apr29.html

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Premature because the deaths havent stopped: all this does (besides pander to those that already oppose the war) is to briefly mention a name and not mention none of the person.

So what you're saying is that, until all Iraqis go about their lives eating Happy Meals at their local MosqueDonalds and duly hoisting their new Flag of Liberation� like good patriots instead of burning it, the death toll really shouldn't be publicized at all so as to not OFFEND anyone still serving there?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is to be a tribute shouldn't it be done when everyone is back home???? How often have tributes been given before the mission is completed in the past???

If you do it to often it just becomes routine, while tributes, by there very nature, are supposed to be something special to memorialize the people that have been killed.

I didn't watch the show, so I don't know how it was handled, but just by the timing, it seems to say something like, 'For this "easy" war these lives have been lost, and most after hostilities ended, How many more?'

So what I am saying is that it should have been done after our troops are home, wolfing down fast food joint burgers, saluting our colors, and getting on with life to the best of their ability.........

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Premature because the deaths havent stopped: all this does (besides pander to those that already oppose the war) is to briefly mention a name and not mention none of the person.

So what you're saying is that, until all Iraqis go about their lives eating Happy Meals at their local MosqueDonalds and duly hoisting their new Flag of Liberation� like good patriots instead of burning it, the death toll really shouldn't be publicized at all so as to not OFFEND anyone still serving there?

In what alternate universe did I ever even allude to that?
If you want to make something up and attribute it to me, please make it something violent and slanderous. [Wink]

I'm saying that it's premature to air such a show now and it can be (and has been) seen as an antiwar statement to only show those killed in the war with no other commentary- and, SUPRISE! It's an election year where people's opinion of how Iraq is being handled will sway many voters.

I think we're witness to the political viewpoints of Nightline's producers clashing with those of Sinclair television.

Nothing objective in either viewpoint really.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So what I am saying is that it should have been done after our troops are home..."

So, somewhere around 2025, probably?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It'd still get more attention than those that died in GW1 or Afghanistan.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"So what I am saying is that it should have been done after our troops are home..."

So, somewhere around 2025, probably?

If that is what Bush got us in to, then, yes.....

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nothing objective in either viewpoint really."

No, but TV almost never is.

Besides, this show was not INTENDED as an objective commentary, but to forward an Opinion of Something. Now that may not have been politically convenient (or entirely agendaless), but not premature. If anything, it boosted public awareness (on those stations where the show wasn't yanked off the air, anyway) in a time when such a boost was needed the most, and I can only applaud that.

"I think we're witness to the political viewpoints of Nightline's producers clashing with those of Sinclair television."

Well, yeah, but censorship of ANY viewpoint that doesn't fit into the agenda of whatever company owns the station broadcasting it always raises big red flags with me, ESPECIALLY during an election year.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

This is actually a lose lose situation for me....

I can not agree with either party for their actions.....

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps