Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Extraneous posts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Extraneous posts
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if a post on the Flameboard is supposed to piss someone off...and posts that have no real nefarious or other-worldly wicked bent to them piss of The_Tom, then wouldn't all posts belong here?

*ducks from the smitage that is sure to follow*

------------------
We sell forbidden objects from places men fear to tread.
We also sell frozen yogurt, which I call "Frogurt"!

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He has a semi-valid point...

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Errr.....

I was under the impression that posts meant to piss people off were SUPPOSED to be on the flameboard.....

Perhaps i'm wrong? ...

I agree with Jay... (I think)

------------------
27 days and counting........
*HUGE EFFING BIGASS GRIN*
"Never underestimate the light side .......... ...... of duct tape."

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me get this straight. You are advocating the flameboard as a place for users to piss each other off CC?(As in interpersonal flames?) Seems counterproductive, and possibly highly risky to me.

And here I was thinking that we should keep personal matters between the people concerned and blow our mouths off about ideology, crap books (new frontier) and camels, preferably of the arabian type.

------------------
there's a bird in the chimney,and a stone in my bed
when the road's washed out,they pass the bottle around
and wait in the arms,of the cold cold ground

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that just goes to show that you don't know what the heck you're talking about, you Pakled-head.

You.. person who likes things I don't.

Ideology: Let those who agree with me, follow me. Let those who oppose me, DIE!

Crap Books: Dreadnought! and similar "Mary Sue" novels.

Camels: Bactrian.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Should all discussions of current events go to the flameboard?
IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there should be some sort of clarification on this. . . certainly the Flameboard has turned into an extension of the Lounge of late.

Basically, if you wish to start a thread on a subject that you suspect might elicit some harsh responses or start a heated argument, then do it here.

Some of the recent threads that really needn't have been here are, IMO: Baloo's dentistry, Monty's complaints against Charles (clue: any thread about Charles gets too long and isn't very serious anyway), 20 questions threads, exams threads, Metric threads. . . I mean, how can anyone get excited about what units you use?!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only point was observational humor after reading a couple of posts T_T had on a some of the other threads. I don't advocate that users piss other posters off.

However, I found T_T gentle reminders that the Lounge *waves at Sol* is next door to be rather amusing. If the posts seemed pernicious to one but T_T, well then....

------------------
We sell forbidden objects from places men fear to tread.
We also sell frozen yogurt, which I call "Frogurt"!

[This message was edited by Jay on May 13, 1999.]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OKay, I have a point to make then. Plenty of people get mad at things in other Forums too. i.e. Voyager bashing gets my somewhat angry from time to time, but not "pissed" per se.

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Butt-head speak* Uh, I get excited about my unit. Uh, hehe.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. You have to work pretty damned hard to piss me off.

Drag me into an argument, that's easy. Just spout off about Creationism or some such junk, or say something completely vapid. (Or, on the other hand, you could say something I agree with, and watch me jump in when someone else says otherwise.)

But do I get pissed off about that stuff? NAAH! 'S pretty pointless to get pissed at someone whos face you'll never be able to sneer at. Nothing anybody says here has any real effect on me (except some of the things Jube says, but that's entirely different) , so why bother?

I never even got that mad during the thing with DT a while back. Close, but not quite. Although, persistent displays of illogic can have a very irritating effect, you generally have to do or say something incredibly stupid right in FRONT of me to get me ticked. And even then, the response I'm most likely to give is "You, sir, are a complete, utter, and total idiot, and should do the gene pool a favor by jumping off the nearest cliff." And then walk away.

To get me fighting mad? You'd have to physically attack me, someone important to me, or someone much smaller and/or weaker than yourself.
Or hit a woman.
Or a kid who isn't being a total brat.

Then, you die.

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*grumbles*

There's a pretty obvious difference between this place and the Officer's Lounge... Lemme review... this place is for discussion of:

A) Current Political/Social issues enshrouded in controversy

B) Personal Experiences leading to some sort of theses, eg "I met these skinheads by the shopping mall" leading to "There are far too many bigotted people in the US for it to ever considered some sort of cultural mosaic"

C) Discussion of smaller current events, esp. those on the internet surrounding the people here without degenerating into personal attacks. If a certain fast particle slighted someone and someone took revenge, opinions are to brought up civilly and with due concern to both party's privacy.

(Any more)

In short, it's got to be firey stuff. Now I'm not going to scour the board and lock all the OT threads, cuz all of us, including myself, are guilty of them. Indeed, my "online waves" post was originally intended to be a flame of all these hyper-Christians who hate Trek until I found out on an unlinked root page that the author was intending the section as a joke and edited the post.

Just use common sense in the future. A statement about the weather or dentistry (however painful it may have been) or another CC-related thread obviously does not fit into the above categories.

TIA

Your evil control-freak moderator,
T_T

------------------
"I haven't done any research, but I think the Defiant is 170m."
-Frank Gerratana

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Ponders dumping the evil mods head in a bucket of cold water to let him cool off/warm up*.

Now, just to clarify what I meant as users pissing each other off. Let me use the example of my pal DT. Say First and DT are going hammer and tongs about something or the other. The last thing we'd want (not that I am saying it would happen, but a certain Chief Admins post above does open the door) is for the two of them to take it to the Flameboard as a persoal sulgging match. (Though I admit it would be damn funny!).

------------------
there's a bird in the chimney,and a stone in my bed
when the road's washed out,they pass the bottle around
and wait in the arms,of the cold cold ground

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
No chance of that. I torpedoed DT's witterings so thoroughly, he had to resort to personal insults (which he didn't even make to my face).
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Ditto.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps