Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » America's Military Coup (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: America's Military Coup
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The king of Sweden is French? Huh.
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by TSN:
quote:
The king of Sweden is French? Huh.
Why not? The Plantagenets were. And the Windsors have ties to Germany, don't they? Or was it the Netherlands?

Heck, Cleopatra wasn't really Egyptian, for that matter.

Marian

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't saying it was unusual. Just that I'd never been aware of it.

The Plantagenets may have been French, but the British royal family had been French (well, Norse/French) since 1066.

And the Germans came into it long before the Windsors. After Queen Anne died in the early 1700s with no heirs, they passed the throne on to George I, a descendant of Charles I's sister who was married off into Germany. That's essentially the same dynasty on the throne today, though the name has changed a few times.

As Blackadder put it when told "I'm not a German spy. I'm as British as Queen Victoria.": "So, your father's German, you're half-German, and you married a German?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Or was it the Netherlands?"

The Dutch royalty has German ties, yes (that is to say, they ARE). Their last queen (Juliana, deceased) married a German jurist (prince Bernard), and had four kiddies. She was succeeded by one of them, Beatrix, who married ANOTHER German (a diplomat this time, Claus, who's also deceased) and had three kiddies herself, two of whom are still in line for the thrown. You do the math. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice the Danish Crown prince (I think Danish anyway) has just married an Australian.

And we got William and Mary from the Netherlands after the Glorious Revolution. So really, the various royal families come from all over the place.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman: "and had four kiddies. She was succeeded by one of them, Beatrix"

Oh ha ha. [Roll Eyes]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman.. I thought you were Dutch? I can't be bothered to use the Search function, though, so am I just plain wrong?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

William and Mary weren't "from the Netherlands", exactly. Mary was the elder daughter of James II. She'd married William, who was Dutch. The only reason he got to be co-ruler was because, otherwise, he'd lose all his power if Mary died before him. And, since he had just driven the old king out, the people were more willing to do what he asked.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps