Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ronald Reagan dead at '93 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ronald Reagan dead at '93
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he had only gone to public school."
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

£

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking hell.

I mean, I realize it'll never happen, but still...

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I mean, I realize it'll never happen, but still...

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this on for size.

quote:
Ohio Lawmaker Wants Reagan Added To Mount Rushmore
Former President Died Saturday

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- An Ohio state representative wants to see President Ronald Reagan's image added to Mount Rushmore.

Rep. Ron Young, R-Painesville, introduced a resolution Monday requesting Congress to add the former president's image to the South Dakota landmark.

Reagan died Saturday at the age of 93. He was the nation's 40th president, and is credited with putting an end to the Cold War with the Soviet Union.

"During the years of President Reagan, America laid to rest an era of division and self-doubt. Because of his leadership, the world laid to rest an era of fear and tyranny," Young said. "I conceived this idea some time ago, and had this resolution drafted and ready to introduce because I can think of no better way to honor the Great Communicator than to have his image added to Mount Rushmore."

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln are already honored on Mount Rushmore, which represents the first 150 years of American history.

Via Pandagon.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we should spend millions to add Reagan to Mt. Rushmore.

I suppose some people need to deify the last likeable republican president.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't they have anything more important to be arguing over?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I suppose some people need to deify the last likeable republican president.

You mean Teddy Roosevelt? He's already on Mt. Rushmore! [Razz]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"[Reagan]... is credited with putting an end to the Cold War with the Soviet Union."

I think the Soviet Union Evil Empire should be credited just a little bit more with putting an end to itself and Reagan just a little bit less for being there and taking advantage of the situation.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I'm not even sure it's possible to add someone to Mt. Rushmore. I mean, the faces are carved into the rock. The surrounding rock has been cut away. You can't put another face there without something into which to carve it. Esentially, they'd have to change one of the ones that are already there.

And, besides the fact that Reagan doesn't deserve to be up there, they shouldn't even think about putting anyone there without knowing how history will really think of them. I mean, look at T. Roosevelt. He's up there with the Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln, but how many Americans today could actually tell you anything he ever did?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
Because of his leadership, the world laid to rest an era of fear and tyranny,"

Didn't last too long, did it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like with Palpie in teh pantsom menace!!! Te real baddie was in thier midst, tey jus didant see it! mouthspoon!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Teh" real baddie being Halliburton's former CO?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

I didn't know oil companies had Commanding Officers.

Well I meant more like Bush or Putin in that allegory. You get out of one pinch, then there comes a guy who says he's fighting with you but has a different agenda, like Palpatine.

After a while, the War on Terror or Checheny draws out and people start seeing hands being shaken behind the curtain.
In Palpy's case, the rebelling forces of Nemoidians and Banking Clans being defeated, while he gets full power by the Senate.

This was just a quick allegory, I'm not paranoid, you know.

Now Dick Cheney, he seems more white, square and mellow than Al Gore.
He strikes me as the kind of guy who'd say "Oh Goodness" or "Darn" when he trips and fall down a flight of stairs in the White House, where others would've gone more "Shit! Ow! Fuck! And my peers are watching! Motherhell!".

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was posted at StarTrek.com

quote:
Remembering Reagan: The Klingon Connection

To join the world in marking the passing of former President Ronald Reagan, we uncovered this revealing tidbit regarding a visit he paid to Paramount Pictures in the spring of 1991.

While here to meet with longtime friend A.C. Lyles, studio stalwart and veteran producer who worked with Reagan when he was a Hollywood actor, the then-ex-President was invited to take a tour of the lot. Richard Arnold, assistant to Gene Roddenberry, was responsible for showing Mr. Reagan the Star Trek: The Next Generation stages, and their entourage arrived at Stage 16 to find the Trek crew putting on the finishing touches to the fourth season finale "Redemption, Part I."

This particular episode, if you remember, features a full contingent of Klingons. The President, not known to be very familiar with Star Trek, was introduced to some of the guest stars, presumably his first encounter with the warrior-like alien race. When later asked by Lyles what he thought of the Klingons, Reagan replied with his customary wit: "I like them. They remind me of Congress."

There are a few pics there of Reagan with some of the TNG cast.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps