Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » An increase in the President's salary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An increase in the President's salary
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a discussion in the Congress on raising the president's salary from 200,000 dollars to 400,000 dollars. Any opinions on this salary increase?
My opinion-very good idea. The president should be given a salary that pays for the work the individual is expected to do in the office-run the country with assistance from the other two branches,make decisions which affect the lives of many, and (hopefully) set a standard of respect and dutifulness to the office of the presidency. (Though I voted for Pres Clinton twice, I believe that he has failed because of his own emotional issues and the wrath of his enemies.)

[This message was edited by Trinculo on May 20, 1999.]

[This message was edited by Trinculo on May 20, 1999.]

IP: Logged
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will support the raise, if they limit campaign spending to 1 million dollars. 1 million from start to finish, including primarys. Let the Ba****** debate on TV once a week. paid for by us, which it alrady is anyway.

------------------
PARTURITION

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the president's nominal salary may be "only" $200,000 a year (more than I see in 10 years), one should not forget all the perks and priveleges of that office which we also pay for: Air Force One, White House banquets, etc.

The Executive office's 1998 budget was 213 million. (World Almanac 1999)

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Gary Oldman tried to put a stop to on eof his perk's.

How does the PM of the UK's salary compare? Or the President of France's?

------------------
'You want the moon on a stick, don't you?'
-Richard Herring

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that if the double the president's salary, they should also double minimum wage. or at least increase it. but $5.25 an hour sucks, quite frankly.

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
US$5.25 isn't that bad compared to CAN$5.55...

------------------
Garak: "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." (DS9: "Cardassians")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody likes a corrupt politician. Or rather, nobody likes a politician who isn't corrupt in their favor.

But really, we ask a hell of a lot from our leaders. I'm not opposed to seeing them well-compensated for it. Of course, as others have pointed out, there are others who deserve better compensation as well. But they aren't paid by Congress...

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

Simon
Ex-Member

If you compare his salary to the other powerful people in America, such as CEO's, he really doesn't make much money. So I have nothing against a raise.

------------------
If there were only one religion in England there would be danger of despotism, if there were two, they would cut each other's throats, but there are thirty, and they live in peace and happiness.
-Voltaire

[This message was edited by Simon on May 20, 1999.]

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The process for paying a federal politician, such as a president or a congressman, is this-
1. Congress votes for a pay increase
2. The US Treasury increases the pay. Money is taken from the treasury. (Translation-the tax payers pay for the congress members, the president, and the supreme court judges. There may be others that we tax payers pay.)

Simon
Ex-Member

Well the citizens of the US also pay the wages of Bill Gates and the many other rich people in the US who arn't trying to work in thier best intrest.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You talk like there actually IS someone else whose working in my best interest.

*chuckles*

We taxpayers pay everybody. Anybody who works for the government gets paid with our money. This iscluses the military, the bureaucrats, the IRS, the FBI, the CIA, NASA, the NEA, everything.

At least when we buy stuff from Bill Gates, we have a small say as to which group/person gets our money. And if the prices get too high, we buy elsewhere.

*Wants all his taxes to go to NASA*
*all of YOURS, too.*

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*pokes Elim*

Canadian minimum wage varies from province to province... out here in BC it's CDN$8 or so...

------------------
"I haven't done any research, but I think the Defiant is 170m."
-Frank Gerratana

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can choose not to buy stuff from Bill Gates. And end up using a minority computer that nearly every major business ignores.
Or you could not use his operating system. How many Linux users out there?
That many...

About the only thing you get a choice with is Web browser. And since IE is free...

Admit it, Bill Gates WILL rule the world eventually.

------------------
'You want the moon on a stick, don't you?'
-Richard Herring

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T_T: I know. I'm just stating how bad it is here. I don't think I said it was $5.55 in Canada, did I?

------------------
Garak: "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." (DS9: "Cardassians")

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay okay...*L* so maybe minimum wage is worse in other places...i still think they should raise it.. *L*

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps