Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Meglomania in Brussels! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Meglomania in Brussels!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want euros.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I know they;re already amember, but was there a popular vote?
It all seems out of the people's hands.
How can the adverage UK citizen (Liam for example) have a say in the EU's decisions?

There was a referendum on membership of what was then the Common Market. However, the EU has changed dramatically since then. Also there have been questions about the way in which that referendum was held; the wording of the question and the use of the BBC in particular.

Generally, in those instances where a referendum goes against the EU, it is simply held again after an intensive propaganda campaign and possibly with a slightly different wording (as in Ireland). Most decisions are made by the (government appointed) European Commission. The accounts haven't been accepted for some years now and in 1999 the entire commission had to resign after corruption charges were made. That didn't stop several of them coming back.

The European Parliament is basically a form of benefits system for failed politicians.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice.
Makes my own greedy congress seem not-so-corrupt.
Though Congress continues to get paid forever-even after they retire.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I still want euros.

Crap. I was going to send you some, wasn't I?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Euro in my opinion is the only good thing we have gotten from the EU.

By the way - at least the German PEOPLE doesn't have a lot to say when it comes to decisions concerning the EU. While other nations like Denmark let their inhabitants decide whether they wanted the Euro - the German government just decided that we would want it. (Knowing very well that the majority of Germans was - and stil is - against the common currency).
And that extends to other issues as well. The German government has a lot of power when it comes to the EU, the German people however has not.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They "decided" what you wanted much in the same way that our Congress announced that they- and the President-not renewing the Assualt Weapoms Ban was "the will of the people".
(there's not an "rolleyes" emoticon disgusted enough to insert here)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Right. But only on a national level. The general public has almost no say in EU policy, which is a point of critique for many in it."

Well, I was talking about why there wouldn't have been a popular vote in Britain on joining the EU. Because the government made the decision, and the people elected the government.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

...and parents raised those children who grew up to elect those officials who, in turn, decided to join the EU.
So blame your parents: it's all their fault.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Right. But only on a national level. The general public has almost no say in EU policy, which is a point of critique for many in it."

Well, I was talking about why there wouldn't have been a popular vote in Britain on joining the EU. Because the government made the decision, and the people elected the government.

There was a popular vote in the UK though, as I pointed out above. There will also be a referendum on the EU Constitution. Which is one of the most utterly crap constitutions ever produced.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double post!!!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is God still in it? Seriously, what the hell is up with putting a fictional character in a 21st century constitution? This is not the Holy Roman Empire!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

No, IIRC all references to Christianity were cut. Of course, it's still about 250+ pages long and covers a quite phenomonal amout of crap that really shouldn't be in a constitution (space program, etc.). It's also not terribly well written and contains sufficient ambiguities to allow considerably expansion of EU power. But that's what happens when you allow a disgraced former French president and a bunch of federalist lackeys to draft something like this.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the ulterior motive of the Union being to forge some sort of pan-European federation with broad supranational powers, that wasn't altogether evitable.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Not everyone agrees that that should be the purpose of the EU though. A far more loosely affiliated trading block that doesn't try to force statist economic and social policies upon all members is regarded as preferable by some.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Preferable by the countries with less influence.
...and they wont have any say in decisions anyway so.....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps