Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ow!

Author Topic: Ow!
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I went to the dentist and had a bum tooth extracted. The extraction would not have been necessary if the dentist who originally repaired that one had taken the time to do a root canal.

As things transpired, the tooth had been damaged in such a way that it had been partly fused with the surrounding bone. They had to cut away a (tiny) portion of my jawbone to fully extract the tooth.

I waas hooked up to a blood pressure monitor for the duration of the ordeal. Surprise me! My blood pressure hovered around 125/70 and only once got up as high as 138/82. My heart rate never rose higher than 80 bpm, and averaged about 75 bpm. As alarmed as I thought I was, I guess I wasn't.

When the ordeal was over, they sent me to the pharmacy to pick up my painkillers. They gave me Darvocet (a mild narcotic) and Ibuprophin (800 mg horse pills -- the AF's "wonder drug" of choice). I can only take the painkillers that work well (Darvocet) when I get home from work. Otherwise I take Ibuprophin until my ears ring. In the AF, you don't usually get sent home unless you're curled into the fetal position with pain or if the doctor thinks too many other people will get what you've got unless you're sent home.

Oh, well. I can eat soft foods, now and will be able to consume carbonated beverages by Saturday.

At least this "hole in my head" is less continuously painful than the tooth that was evicted.

--Baloo

PS: Day 14 and counting!

------------------
If God Himself walks up to you and tells you to found a new religeon, ask for some I.D.
You're probably talking to an imposter.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grumbles something about Baloo of all people knowing the difference between the OL and the Flameboard*

------------------
"I haven't done any research, but I think the Defiant is 170m."
-Frank Gerratana, May 11, 1999

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. You have my sincerest get well wishes.

------------------
"You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red!!...' You never hear a real American talk like that!"
--
Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sends healing energy in Baloo's direction*

------------------
27 days and counting........
*HUGE EFFING BIGASS GRIN*
"Never underestimate the light side .......... ...... of duct tape."

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have TEETH in your BUM ???!!!!!!

------------------
"You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak."

- Chris Morris, Brass Eye

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, these yanks are odd aren't they?

Hope you feel better of Lord of the Jungle!

------------------
there's a bird in the chimney,and a stone in my bed
when the road's washed out,they pass the bottle around
and wait in the arms,of the cold cold ground

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used to give out Percadan for stuff like that. Another guy I know got Tylox for getting his tooth pulled. I believe you have been short changed.

------------------
INSURRECTION

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*remembers her wisdom teeth extraction* *shudders* *remembers the DRUGS from the surgery and grins* heheehehehehehe....

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I;ve had two wisdom teeth removed, and have spent the past five years trying to avoid having the other two out. What sticks in my mind is that while most types of soup are good to eat after such an experience, Mulligatawney is NOT one of them.

There was also a girl who was after me who took advantage of me while I was doped to the gills, but that's another story. . . �)

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth, as well as two sections of jaw, removed in a few weeks.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The_Tom: The first post in this thread is a gripe. It belongs here. If it isn't irate enough for you, tough. I've quit smoking and had a tooth extracted and don't feel like being particularly pleasant.

Montgomery: Teeth in my bum? Hmmm...? What is the "Britishism" (or "Scottishism") for "tooth with serious dental problems that will very likely require extraction"?

Of course, If I did have teeth there, I could eat a pizza by sitting on it (altogether now: EEEEEEEeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!)

First of Two: I know what you mean (regarding soups). My favorite soup is hot and sour soup, as served by the Thai restaurant just outside the main gate (of the base). It's got bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and muzhrooms and (drool, drool! I gotta cut this out!) well, you get the idea. It's best served with about a quarter teaspoon of red pepper sauce in it. Just enough to start a good sweat, but not enough to sear your tongue.

Jaresh Inyo: I had my wisdom teeth out in 1976. Dental technology has advanced quite a bit since then. You should recover pretty well.

I recall reading many years ago in Science Digest (a magazine that no longer exists, damn the luck!) that someone did a statistical analysis of (American) football injuries. It turns out that players who still had their wisdom teeth were several times more likely to break their jaw.

Apparently, the roots of the wisdom teeth weakened the lower jaw. When the teeth were extracted, the root channels filled with bone and were no longer a weak point.

Of course, this was at least 20-25 years ago, so I don't know if there's been any more studies to back this conclusion up or tear it down.

What the heck. I hope your dentist is so good that you'll never know how bad it coulda been.

--Baloo

PS: The_Tom: . There. Happy?

------------------
If a lawyer is disbarred and a priest is defrocked,is a florist deflowered and a cowboy deranged?
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jarish: I had all four wisdom teeth removed [is *that* why I'm so dopey?] back in 1985. While not a lot of laughs, it wasn't quite the pain-fest I had feared.

Just don't plan to do anything after surgery, because you will probably want a whole LOT of sleep.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah.. anger.. good feelings.. yes!

Well, you've managed to make it gripey enough for me

Oh, and get well soon, BTW...

------------------
"I haven't done any research, but I think the Defiant is 170m."
-Frank Gerratana

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*totally agrees with Xentrick* I think they gave me Duranol for mine...ehehehehehe....that stuff is goooooood pain medicine....*L* just don't even TRY to eat for about 2 hours --at least-- after the surgery...you'll just kind of...drool/dribble the jello or applesauce or whatever all over yourself b/c you can't feel your lips, and will probalby be chewing on your tongue *L* But honestly, like he said, it's not as painful as all the hype

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WRONG FIRST!!!

Not me did posting above, was First ONE!

NOW I have something to gripe about!
.. it's bad ENOUGH that the head of the Friends of the Library has called me "Rod" or "Ron" for the past three years. (It's "Rob." Or "Robert," if you're being formal, in which case you'll have to say it two or three times, because I'm not used to it.)

But yes, dental surgery sucks. Fortunately, I have never needed anything more drastic than a filled cavity. My "wisdom" teeth are all still embedded, and show no signs of becoming consequential in the near future.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps