Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Taiwan in trouble ? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Taiwan in trouble ?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not giving the US aid would be a really stupid thing to do. American goodwill is always a good thing to have.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Well, I wouldn't have thought all that many. The Chinese, possibly, maybe the Russians. I don't think the Continentals would, although I'm sure they'd rub in the fact that the US needed their help.

France probably would wrangle and posture a bit- not bashing France itelf here- Chiriac has campaigned on his anti-Bush sentiment.

China would probably not help and while Russia is strapped for cash, they'd help anyway.

Britan and Japan would probably be first to help financially and Canada woud be there with physical reief aid immeadeately.

Really, all the countries that helped immeadeately after 9/11 without reservations would help in any disaster.

Dispite Bush's blundering, the US's friends are there for the long haul....as in long after Bush is out of office.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) When you owe the bank one hundred dollars, you have a problem. When you owe the bank one trillion dollars, the bank has a problem.

2.) What nations hold the largest amounts of U.S. Treasury bonds?

This is all somewhat moot anyway, though, since it is hard to imagine a quick disaster (as opposed to a long-term economic decline) that would affect only the United States. And why is Yellowstone the hip disaster these days?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just sounds cool.
"Tonight on ABC....The Yellowstone Disaster...based on a true story."

The only major disaster that wuld require a flood of international aid would be either a terrorist attack (in which case the aid would be mainly logistic and inteligence) or some nuclear plant nightmare (a Chernoybol like disaster in the US would affect Canada and Mexico as well).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

2.) What nations hold the largest amounts of U.S. Treasury bonds?

This is all somewhat moot anyway, though, since it is hard to imagine a quick disaster (as opposed to a long-term economic decline) that would affect only the United States.

Way too tired to think about what you're getting at but there's this.
http://www.treas.gov/tic/mfh.txt
with the three biggest being Japan by far, then China and the UK comparable, Caribbean banking centres (hmmm....), and the rest fall relatively speaking pretty quickly.

Maybe a very major earthquake in California? A serious Black Death-level disease outbreak?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an aside, I know the UK is scheduled to finally finish paying off the US for World War II next year.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that was kind of worth it, right?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah. I was just mentioning it, seeing as we were talking about America and money.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
As an aside, I know the UK is scheduled to finally finish paying off the US for World War II next year.

Then you can (mabye) afford membership in the EU, right?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Yes, so we can give them even more of our money to waste thinking up new ways to ruin our economy and bring us under the oligarchic, undemocratic rule of Brussels.

Not that I really care all that much, of course...

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps