Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Prize for a warlord (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Prize for a warlord
Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Nim, but your public isn't what it used to be.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more worried about why Swedes know our commercials.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because your TV shows contantly reference them. I have never had relations with Armor hotdogs, but I still know that stupid jingle.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an Armor hotdog jingle?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they were available, would you "have relations" with a hot dog?

...and do I really want to know?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That one that goes:

"Hotdogs, Armor hotdogs /
What kinds of kids eat Armor hotdogs? /
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks /
..."

And so on. The Simpsons has done it twice, and I've seen it elsewhere, so don't tell me it doesn't exist.

(We do get "I feel like Chicken Tonight", though.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. I get the first one (though that ad campaign was over looong before I was really watching TV as a child) but I've never actually seen the "Chicken commercial".

I know the Simpsons episode you're referring to even: the first Thanksgiving ep, IIRC.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

No, the first Thanksgiving one is the one where Bart destroys Lisa's centrepiece. This is a later one.

The "chicken tonight" one isn't really played over here any more, but (like I imagine the Armor one there) it has entered the collecctive consciousness somewhat for its sheer awfulness.

"Doesn't this family know any songs that aren't commercials?"

(They also reference the Armor one when Skinner pretends to have a bomb strapped to his chest. But it's not a bomb. It's hot dogs. Armor hot dogs.)

--------------------

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the hotdog commercial/jingle they sung was the Oscar Meyer one, not the Armour one, when Jay Sherman was at the Simpsons house.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yeah, not that episode. The one I'm talking about is from (I think) "Mrs Bouvier's Lover". The one where Grandpa and then Burns both make a play for Marge's mum.

--------------------

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

Ahhh, they make plagiarisms from everywhere in that one. [Razz] Yes, it's likely, though I forgot about it.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN:
quote:
I'm more worried about why Swedes know our commercials.
- Imagine not having TV access to Comedy Central (yeah I know, *psheesh*, but humor me)
- Imagine that you discover the website for Comedy Central, with 7 years worth of interviews and news stories from "The Daily Show" within a mouse's reach
- Then you gradually discover that the site is supported by flash ads for every single thing you do (including doing nothing)

-Imagine arriving at the point where one invents answers to the lines stated in the commercials ("Buy suitjacket for interviews" -Uhuh, uhuh, ok, then what? "Win an internship that gets you ahead of the game" -No way?! You have me now, MasterCard! Hold me to your ample bosom of success!)

We all make sacrifices, Tim. It will pay off in the end, though, when Steve Carell takes over the Bahamas and begins the Thousand Years of Joy Nice.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never hear of Armor hot dogs, myself. (Except, I may have seen those references on "The Simpsons" and not noticed.)

And that "Chicken Tonight" jingle has to have gone off the air here at least ten years ago. Does the product even exist anymore?

Update: Apparently, yes over there, no over here.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the World Bank to Armor hotdogs to commercial jingles.

How does that happen anywhere else.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We now have Beef Tonight as well. Thanks a bunch.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps