Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Why isn't the U.S. Metric? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why isn't the U.S. Metric?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why should we be? Really, we are metric where it counts (international trade, scientific research, etc.) and non-metric where it ought to be (the grocer's, on the highway).

Why should Grandma have to learn how many kilometers it is from Memphis to Little Rock when she already knows how far it is in miles. Does Granny care that it's difficult to convert from miles to feet (5,280 feet per mile)? No. Why should she? How often does she have to make this conversion?

Should uncle Ted down at the dairy learn how to calculate how many gallons of milk there are per hogshead? It depends. Does he really need to know? The truck that takes the milk Ted produces hauls a known liquid volume of the stuff in gallons. Thousands of gallons convert to gallons very easily. What Ted's interested in converting is milk to dollars. If he could make more money selling liters of milk than quarts, he'd be metric in a heartbeat.

Brother Todd the scientist, on the other hand, already uses the metric system. Why? It's the system of measurement used by his peers in the scientific community. Along with the jargon necessary to convey ideas in the idiom of his chosen specialty, Todd learned the metric system. Why? It's a tool of his trade.

Asking the U.S. to abandon their traditional system for no other reason other than it irks your sense of sensibilities is foolish. You may as well insist that the natives of certain tropical climes ought to wear Army boots. They'll ignore you, because they don't need such footwear, even though some of these places manufacture such boots for use elsewhere.

--Baloo

PS: I refer you to this for more on the subject.

PPS: I know a lot more of the metric system than most of my peers, having had some schooling in the sciences of physics and astronomy. As for the rest of the system, I figure if I need to know what a hectare is, I can look it up.

------------------
If God Himself walks up to you and tells you to found a new religeon, ask for some I.D.
You're probably talking to an imposter.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on May 08, 1999.]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo..... Close your tags. *LOL*

And I agree with you wholeheartedly.

------------------
When I saw you I fell in love,
and you smiled because you knew
- Unkown

...if you should die before me,
ask if you could bring a friend...
- Unkown

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOops!

[ZZZIIIIPP!]

(How embarrassing!)

------------------
If God Himself walks up to you and tells you to found a new religeon, ask for some I.D.

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. A good point, but I propose a counterpoint: being among the few left in the world (the only?) who still do not use metric, I think it would be beneficial for us (the U.S. namely) to convert to the system for convenience sake. Think about it. In Europe they pushed for a common currency...that certainly makes sense to me--less conversions to be made. I, for one, college student living in a dorm room with all it's lack of amenities, have an enormous problem when it comes to measuring out amounts of this or that to go into some 'ready-to-go' dinner. I have almost NO knowledge of the metric system, so when the only thing i have to measure with is metric (which yes, albeit isn't too often, but i'm speaking more hypothetically here i suppose) i'm at a loss. A few years ago i took a student exchange trip to Australia and New Zealand. WHew! Blow me away...I totally loved both places, but when it came to doing something with metric, I was up a creek. I mean, OUR system is confusing, as it is, without there being more countries out there using metric than whatever we call ours....non-metric? Maybe I'm just showing my own ignorance here, but does it even *have* a name? That in itself says something...if only about the egocentricity of our nation.

So here lie my reasons for switching to metric:
1--We no longer live in the state of semi-isolation that perhaps we once did. Everyone has contact with everyone else these days. It naturally makes sense to "speak the common language" as it were.
2--Follow up to #1: The "common language" seems to be English, at least in many places around the world. It's been my observation that quite a few Europeans have more than one language that they know well, whereas, the majority of Americans know one--their own. That puts us in an awfully crippling situation, wouldn't you agree? A friend was telling me about a guy he knows how saw a guy wearing a T-shirt he got from some Chinese gift shop or something, perhaps in ChinaTown. He was proudly boasting this shirt, with 'cool chinese writing' on it, completely oblivious to the message it read in Chinese: "I am a stupid American." *L* No joke--honestly. That's just an example. We're behind the times here, and it's to our own disadvantage.
3--Simply this: what kind of message are we sending other countries, even our own children, in saying we refuse to change the way we have been doing things, even if it may seem backward and antiquidated to some? Probably this--that we are, again, to egocentric to change our stubborn way of thinking, and instead would rather continue what we are used to, and have everyone else bend over backwards to meet our needs. I talk to foreign friends of mine, and when we get talking about things like temperature, weight, stuff like that, I have no clue what conversion rates are--quite a few of them do, however, much to my chagrin. I have NO CLUE what my weight converts to in kilos...what my height converts to in meters (or metres... *L* ;-), and when the weather outside is frightful, I don't know how to convert Farenheit to Celcius or Centegrade...or are those two one in the same now? *once again, showing her ignorance...*L*

Anyway...I'm certainly an advocate of gradually changing the system. Heck--in grade school they were teaching me centimeters...why haven't we REALLY had to use that for anything since? I didn't go into science or math in university...and I don't intend to. In fact, I never have to take another math class...unless they change the policy *erk* and I'm trying my best to get around the chemistry and physics type classes that I haven't the brain power for...no doubt partly b/c they employ metric, and I never learned it, beyond centimeters, and that theres 100 cm in one meter. Not sure how many meters in a kilometer...i'm guessing 1,000, since in anthropology we use kya to denote #1000 years ago. Beyond that, I'm hopelessly ignorant. Quite sad, IMO.

Anyway, nuf said...I've been at this one for QUITE a while now *L* Hope I haven't offended anyone...if so, well...accept my apologies. It wasn't my intention, just my opinion.

------------------
Clones are People Two

**The Light only shines in the dark, and sometimes innocence is just an excuse for the guilty**

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, there is no such thing as a "country kilometer".

------------------
The Leader in Offensive Ideology.
De-Value Life Today!

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L* True, it would leave a bunch of country artists up a creek too, and being from nashville i can certainly sympathize. ;-) I still stand by my point though *L*

------------------
Clones are People Two

**The Light only shines in the dark, and sometimes innocence is just an excuse for the guilty**

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Jedi Weyoun: Your argument for metrication illustrates my point. You have a desire to convert, so for you, it makes sense.

Go ahead, but I challenge you to use every unit of measurement in the metric system. You probably won't for the simple reason you (personally) don't need them all.

BTW, the system of measurement we use in the U.S. is called the "English System" of measurements. <Trivia>Even during WW II, the English-English system and the American-English system were out of synch. If you measured the distance from the New York to San Francisco, the two (ostensibly similar) systems would disagree by a few inches, but that was enough difference that parts for Merlin Engines manufactured in the U.S. would not fit (or fit poorly) engines built in England.</Trivia>

Why did England metricise? Probably because most of their trading partners were using Metrics anyhow. Does England still use Miles and Gallons? I dunno, but I think they did at least recently, if not now.

Please understand, I am not anti-metric (I'm pro-metric, but also Pro-choice on the matter). If it's good to encourage (so-called) primitive peoples to preserve their culture, traditions, and language, why is it wrong that America tries to preserve that particular part of their culture? And if it's wrong for America, why isn't it wrong for other cultures?

--Baloo

------------------

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

Well...i think it's time for me to perform my all to frequent 2-step ritual: Open mouth, insert foot. *L* I seem to have talked myself into a hole. I admit, I am incredibly ignorant of the metric system, if that wasn't indicated in my previous post...so, methinks i should get off my little soapbox now before I get athlete's tongue. *L* *shrugs* to each his own. maybe there is no 'better' way.

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, with a bit of info from my newest British friend James, Over in England they use the Standard system (ft, mi, gal, etc).

(notices how many errors he just made in grammar and speeling...)

AHH! Theres another!

--

I hate metric, although sometimes it's easier to convert. But all those 10's get confusing.

------------------
"Chances thrown / Nothing's free / Looking for what used to be / Still it's hard / Hard to see / Fragile lives, shattered dreams..."

Aaron the Overlord
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I use a bit of of both systems (me being a brit). I always thought that the inches, miles, pounds, etc. were imperial measurements.

Here is how I would measure things

If I am doing something scientific I will measure in cm's, weigh in kg's and do capacities in cm^3.
If I measure someones height I will do it in m's and cm's.
If I measure long distances I will do them in miles and speed in mph and acceleratin in mph/h.
Small distances I will measure in inches.
Liquid capacity I will use litres
I weigh things in Stones, pounds, and ounces.
I measure temperature in degrees Clecius (Don't ask me how to convert to Farenheit or Kelvin)

------------------
'Today is a good day to die!' - Worf

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Converting to Kelvins is easy...just add 273.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Walter Barnett: "D-Did that thing just shatter an overpass into dust?"
Donny Finkleberg: "No, I...I think it was an entrance ramp."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'non-metric' system (inches, feet etc) is called imperial.

And we use both. I can use both inches and cm. I measure distance in miles. And my speedo measures miles an km/h. Like all British cars.

Metrix makes sense.

cent=100 You should know that Americans. How many cents in a dollar?
Kilo-1000.

So there's 100 centimeters in a meter
And 1000 metres in a kilometer.
1000 litres in a kilolitre.
1000 grams in a kilogram.

CM are the only real case of using cents...all the other scales tend to use mili's (1000 milimeters in a meter, 10 milimeters in a centimeter, 1000 mililitres in a litre) and kilos. And sometimes nano's (as in nanometers)

I can understand Amerians not knowing exactly how long a kilometer is, but not knowing how many cm's in a meter is shocking.

BTW, why would you ant to convert feet into kilometers? Surely miles into kilometers makes more sense (1.5km to the mile is the rough estimate. It's more like 1.6, but what the hell).

And our petrol stations now use litres. But most old people convert back to galleons.

BTW, you're money system in metrix. You can understand that with no trouble can't you? Now WE had a imperial money system, and that was complex.

Oh, and we still use pints for beers. Cause as 1984 said, 1 litre isn't enough, but 2 litres is too much.

------------------
'You want the moon on a stick, don't you?'
-Richard Herring

corrected embarrasing maths mistakes. Thanks Simon

[This message was edited by PsyLiam on May 09, 1999.]

[This message was edited by PsyLiam on May 10, 1999.]

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

*holding her head, which is now throbbing from perusing all this mathematical stuff* Pleeze...no more...no more... *L* I surrender! Keep the Imperial system! �Es no importante a mi! *L* *whimpers and crawls under a table to finish studying for an anthro exam*

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

<Rant>Imperial monetary system? Damned confused money system (though quaint and picturesque) if you ask me.

Frankly, I wish the Brits had stuck to their old 1 £ = 20 shillings = 240 pence system. It was unique and unmistakably British.

The new system is as exciting as wet newspapers. 1 £ = 100 pee. Sheesh! If I go to England, I won't know if I'm getting change or a urine sample. Perhaps I'd better wear rubber gloves?</Rant>

--Baloo

------------------

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam you seem to have made an error in your explanation. There are 1000 milimeters in a meter, and 1000 mililitres in a litre.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps