Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Election Fever! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Election Fever!
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you contain your excitement?

Your vote is safe! Just remember, it's the Conservatives who are corrupt.

No, really.

So, how big will Labour's majority be?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Yes. Just barely, but yes.

2) Conservatives? Corrupt? What kind of planet are you living on? Next thing you'll be trying to tell me there are gay priests! Pull the other one.

[Smile]

I think Labour's majority will be sizeable, but reduced from what it was last time around (167 I think?), though I wouldn't be surprised if they get another couple of terms out of it if only because they don't really have a credible opposition at this point. The Tories are, IMHO, still out in the long grass and I can see them losing some seats. Lib Dems will, I think, continue their past trend and make some solid gains.

And if in three months we're sitting under a Monster Raving Loony government then I will admit my predictions might have been a bit off. Not by much though.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so long as we all get out and vote! I'm worried by these latest poll results. Howard becomes PM, I'm going back to NZ.

Mind you, I'm uncertain how to vote this time. Currently I live in a safe Labour seat - 11,000 majority. I'd far sooner vote Lib Dem but in such a case there's the danger that enough people doing so would split the vote and let the Tories sneak in.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely the Tories can't be worse than NewLab? Well, not substantially worse at any rate. One of the constituencies I live in is a safe Tory seat with a good MP (Douglas Hogg) and the other is currently Labour but likely to turn Lib Dem as the MP said she wouldn't support top up fees and then did. Not a good idea in Cambridge...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem with the Tories isn't so much their general right-wingness. There are some situations where I'd support a right-wing POV, and certainly Labour need some (any) competition.

No, the problem occurs with the fact that they aren't fighting over the economy, or education (in any real sense), or anything like that. They are goin on about immigration, cutting taxes, and other Daily Mail-chearing "policies". And the posters they've stuck up everywhere are just stupid.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going over there in July so assuming you can count better than Americans can, this should all be over by the time I get there, eh?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be the end of the beginning.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

No, the problem occurs with the fact that they aren't fighting over the economy, or education (in any real sense), or anything like that. They are goin on about immigration, cutting taxes, and other Daily Mail-chearing "policies". And the posters they've stuck up everywhere are just stupid.

True; this 'dog whistle' policies thing is kind of irritating. Still, they have to get out as many of their core voters as possible and that sort of thing appeals to them. The economy is difficult because Labour will just start going on about the ERM and how great Brown's economic record is.

It's not like Labour's been raising the level of debate anyway; what with the bandwagon jumping (Jamie Oliver) and the constant repitition of 'the Tories can't be trusted to run public services' and their borrowed (from the DDR) slogan.

..And then there's the Lib Dems whose main strength seems to be that they're not either the Tories or Labour. Oh, and they opposed the war. Which I didn't really, so it doesn't really matter that much.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Chris Morris board where the members did a series of photoshopped pastiches of the Tories' "Are you thinking what we're thinking?" posters. Will have to find the link, some of them are fantastic, they rival somethingawful's poverty poster pisstakes that someone, TSN I think, linked to a while back.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhh...it's (dis)heartening to see politics suck just as bad across the pond as it does here.

Well, mabye close.
Sorta.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Well, according to the paper most drug addicts will be voting for the Greens (39%) and Lib Dems (22%). Labour have lost 19% of the druggies vote since 1997.

Also the crackpot parties (Veritarse and the Sir-I-Salute-your-Indefagitability party (aka Respect) have begun to come out of the woodwork.

And finally, the Economist reports that the current best bet is a Labour majority of 60.

Oh, and do you like to swing?

--------------------

missmanners
Member # 1523

- posted      Profile for missmanners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Well, according to the paper most drug addicts will be voting for the Greens (39%) and Lib Dems (22%). Labour have lost 19% of the druggies vote since 1997.

Also the crackpot parties (Veritarse and the Sir-I-Salute-your-Indefagitability party (aka Respect) have begun to come out of the woodwork.

And finally, the Economist reports that the current best bet is a Labour majority of 60.

Oh, and do you like to swing?

Oh!!!! There are really crackpot parties? I always wanted to start my own polital party and in fact have the official papers and forms to do it, but I need 85,000 signatures first.

[Smile]
mm

--------------------
To live is to war with trolls.~ Henrik Ibsen

Lee
Member # 393

And �500 deposit. Well, here, anyway. 8)

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deposit? What, you can have it back when you actually win a seat?
Lee
Member # 393

You get it back if you get a certain percentage or number of votes, I forget which. If you fail to achieve that you lose your deposit. Which put's Screaming Lord Sutch's long history of standing in parliamentary elections in perspective.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps