Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » HUH??? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HUH???
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked, and it looks like North Carolina is one of the states that passed a "three strikes" law in the mid-1990s. However, that wouldn't have any bearing on Junior Allen's case since he was sentenced in 1970, a good quarter-century before the "three strikes" law was enacted. What I can't find out, though, is if North Carolina had a law on the books that allowed for imposing life without parole in light of multiple previous convictions. I'd have to lean towards not, though, since the article implies that he was simply given the maximum allowed punishment under the theft statutes at the time.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tim: Well, even if that entire section of the constitution is ignored..."

Just so we're clear, I wasn't suggesting that it should be. I just felt like commenting on the other things that happened to be in that same paragraph.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps