Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » PBS: now a FOX affiliate. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PBS: now a FOX affiliate.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the opinions and stuff in .pdf form. Too bad Acrobat's installer refuses to play nice with my computer.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, the question is what constitutes "public use"? And, as Simon pointed out, the public can "use" the privately developed land by collecting tax money from it. Like him, I'm not saying this outcome is a good thing. But the courts can't stop the government from making bad decisions: just illegal ones. Bad decisions are why we have referenda and limited terms of office. If the people of New London really believe their government is not acting for the public, I'm sure there are a number of things they can do about it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue is that (at least in the instance I linked) the decision only benifits a private company. It actually closes several private businesses and leaves all those employees without jobs.
The new development might affter more jobs (assuming it's successful at all), but that's nothing to the people with no business or income.
Mabye they can be janitors or something in the new condos....

Clarence Thomas' dissent is based on simple logic:
The poorest land-owners/tennants live in the most likely areas for the city to size and have over to be "re-developed" by private business.
Taking their land and selling it to private developers leaves the former landowners with no where to go- they were already living in the poorest neighborhood.

So, this ruling screws the poorest land-owners and only benifits the most wealthy developers.

Also consider that the city/state decides what is adequate conpensation.

In the past, if someone wanted to buy your land, you could set whatever price you wanted and if they wanted the land badly enough, they'd pay.
Now the developer will just go through the local politicians (thay are, of course not motivated by personal intrests or greed) and your land (possibly in your family for generations) is now a condo for yuppies.

Not what the founding fathers had in mind.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I've long maintained that Liam should be President of the United States. He'd make things right.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His first task would be having you comitted.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'm going to be Liam's Secretary of Funk.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But who will be your Undersecretary for Jive?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Dick Cheney.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I speak Jive- I'll be the translator for the UN.
that way I'll get to sit next to NIcole KIdman all day (because all UN translators are incredibly bueatiful women, dontcha know?).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A fun gag here.

Too bad it's not a real company asking for Souter's land to develop.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Pssst... Omega mentioned that already in post #25.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah.
You count the post numbers, Siggy?

You are an odd odd fellow, you know.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

No, I don't count post numbers. See the little document icon just to the left of the date and time of the post? It's a direct hyperlink to that post, and the number at the end of the URL is the post number.

As for the odd, odd fellow bit... I concur. And so do the other voices in my head.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps