my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Rehnquist has died

Author Topic: Rehnquist has died
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chief Justice William H. Rehquist has died...
Washington Post story

And this is not another "Louise Fletcher" drill.

All I can say is...we're screwed. And so, might I add, are the Katrina victims (in terms of news coverage).

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So very very fucked.

Baaaaaad news- I re-interate my concerns that Bushco will install a uber-conservative after first nominating an obviously unacceptable choice for the Democrats to attack.

Hmmm..mabye Bush will appoint his old pal Pat Robertson...that would be funny.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, having to read all court notices in braille would certainly slow the judicial process down.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A funny -if scary as hell site to liven our spirits on this grim sunday morning.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's just scary as hell. And I don't mean the layout.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would appear that one of the little discussed aspects of the 2004 election, the composition of the Court and the next president shaping the future of the Court through appointments, has happened.

Mr. Bush gets to appoint a Chief Justice and an Associate Justice.

Mr. Bush could appoint a Chief Justice from one of the current members of the Court, most obviously by trying to elevate Justice Scalia or Justice Tomas to be Chief Justice. If he does that, he will be able to two Associate Justices. Mr. Bush could of course nominate a non-member of the Court to be Chief Justice, but either way, he gets to fill two seats on the Court this term.

But, consider if you will...the Chief Justice and most powerful member of the Court, a George W. Bush appointee and two more members of the Court George W. Bush appointees.

The people wanted the right-wing in charge, and they are getting it. Now, not only in hurricane ravaged New Orleans and Mississippi, but on the Supreme Court.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the Chief Justice doesn't have to be already a member? Odd.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. In fact, Rehnquist was one of only three (out of 16) who were appointed chief justice from within the court.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Now that is scary.

Hmmm...I cant imagine the Democrats will let this second seat go with the same ease they've let Roberts' nomination slide with.

I hope the nominee is at least as level minded as Roberts appears to be.....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush Nominates Roberts for Chief Justice.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bush, with low standing in the polls, might not have the political capital he would need to win a Senate battle over a conservative ideologue who would draw intense opposition."

How unfortunate for him.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, he can always rely on support from his pals in the New Orleans area...

Oh wait.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps