Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Downright scary.

Author Topic: Downright scary.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian student arrested.
quote:
Maawad had ordered $3,000 in aviation materials, including DVDs titled "Ups and Downs of Takeoffs and Landings," "Airplane Talk," "Mental Math for Pilots" and "Mastering GPS Flying," FBI agent Thad Gulczynski testified.
Now if they really want to know what people are reading, you'd think that stuff on how to impersonate a commercial pilot would have raised a red flag...instead the guy got busted for not paying for his research materials.

The guy is definitely not slick or (probably) well connected but you never know...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmph. I've already been told I CAN'T blow up a scale replica of the Houses of Parliament during our fireworks display on November 5th - the 400th anniversary this year, you know; my wife is concerned lest it draw government opprobrium. I keep tellig her it's my own little in-joke about the upcoming release of V For Vendetta, but she hasn't read the source material. And the film's release has been delayed anyway. Bastard tube bombers. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's something I don't understand. You've got Guy Fawkes, a religious radical who wanted to overthrow the government and only just barely failed. Somehow, he became so reviled that even after four centuries, his defeat is an international holiday on which people burn him in effigy.

On the other hand, you've got Oliver Cromwell, a religious radical who wanted to overthrow the government. He actually succeeded, before eventually dying and leaving his kid to be overthrown, with the old government coming back into power. And yet, he gets a statue and a fair amount of admiration.

What's up with that? If Fawkes had actually blown the Parliament up, would he today be considered a pretty okay guy, or what?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no one likes a failure, after all.

Besides "Cromwell" sounds sooo cool (and close enough to my own last name that national admiration and statures are a natural result).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this guy needed to do was watch "Catch Me If You Can," and he would have had the pilot routine down pat.

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, we can be thankful for stupid (would be) terrorists.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes but Cromwell overthrew the government the old fashioned, boring way. I mean, soldiers, seiges, it's all been done before and it's all been done since. Yes, the New Model Army was fairly cool, but frankly it just doesn't have the street cred that trying to blow up Westminster does.

Also the whole blowing up thing gives us an excuse to start lots of fires and blow stuff up. And deep down, we're all pyromaniacs.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And wasn't the statue a much later thing, once his acts during and after the Civil War were put into historcal perspective? It certainly wasn't put up right after his death, or I suspect it'd have suffered a similar fate to his corpse (exhumed then hung, drawn and quartered I believe). Put next to all Cromwell did towards shaping our modern political system, Fawkes' achievements (or lack of them, since he never actually got to carry out his plot) pale into insignificance. Why he gets to be burned in effigy rather than, say, Napoleon or William Wallace or Bonnie Prince Charlie or Wat Tyler or that guy tried to overthrow Elizabeth I - whatsisface, got played by Christopher Eccleston in the Cate Blanchett movie - why not any of them, I don't know.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...I suspect it'd have suffered a similar fate to his corpse (exhumed then hung, drawn and quartered I believe)."

That, and they left his head on a pike for a couple of decades.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Yes but Cromwell overthrew the government the old fashioned, boring way.

Well, yeah, I meant the guy in the linked article, there.
quote:

Also the whole blowing up thing gives us an excuse to start lots of fires and blow stuff up. And deep down, we're all pyromaniacs.

Tell me about it.
My birthday is the fourth of July- I cant tell you of how many of my presents were fireworks.

I should have been on COBRA's payroll for all the G.I.Joes I sent to a fiery, unmarked grave.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two words: saltpetre/sugar

No, three! Three words: Saltpetre, sugar, and a matchbox - four! Four are the words I'm going to say; Saltpetre, sugar, matchbox and a miniature balsa-wood villa that would otherwise collect dust on the attic. And some GI Joes and a video cam- I'll come in again.

Lee
Member # 393

One installation I was particularly proud of was the Darth Maul I did in 1999. Life-size figure dressed in black, child's mask bought in a toy-store, arm outstretched, holding a light-sabre comprising two red gerbs (flares, basically, that you stick in the ground and they spout fire) fastened end-to-end. One of them failed to ignite, but it was still a good effect and the kids loved it.

Oh, yes, and the figure was also doused in petrol and stuffed with thunderflashes, maroons and flash-powder. We had to relocate the display in order to put it a sufficiently-safe distance from the crowd. 8)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps