Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something Good About Mr. Bush (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Something Good About Mr. Bush
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bush Defends Workers' Pensions

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

President Bush called on American businesses on Monday to live up to their pension promises, saying too many companies are not putting away enough money to protect the retirement benefits of their workers.

"My message to corporate America is you need to fulfill your promises," Bush said. "When you say to a worker, `This is what they're going get when they retire,' you better put enough money in the account to make sure the worker gets that what you said."

In a speech on the economy, the president said federal rules governing pensions are confusing and misleading and allow companies to technically play by the rules without funding the promises they make. In the end, taxpayers wind up footing the bill because of federal pension insurance, he said.

"So Congress needs to straighten up these rules," Bush said. Members of his economic team said pension-reform legislation moving through Congress is not tough enough. "And I'm not going to sign a bill that weakens pension funding for the American workers," Bush said.

----

Well, good on Mr. Bush.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, shoring up the GOPs chances by showing that they 'care' about the common worker that may retire from some job. This little thing will be touted at election time showing just that fact....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course he wants people to have better pensions from their employers. Then he can get rid of Social Security.

Something good about Mr. Bush : Someday, he'll be dead.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also coming from someone that's given enough tax breaks to big business to have actually paid for those pensions several times over....

You'd think he could have just made one dependant on the other.

On the other tenticle, Bush's administration has silently (and sometimes apporvingly) by while record numbers of jobs are outsourced, unemployment has risen and the deficit is at an all time high.

In other words, he'll say anything between now and mid-term elections to keep majority power with his party.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'm saying is that at the very least he finally used his office to speak to corporations and in favor of workers.

Yeah, being cynical it might just be a political maneuver, but at the very least it's something.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...being cynical it might just be a political maneuver..."

Being not-delusional, it unquestionably is a political maneuver.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure your non-delusional powers are intact? After all, you DID actually agree with me on a minor topic a couple weeks ago. I thought for sure that would throw you into some Giskardian freeze-up.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did, but it only lasted a week.

He can say anything he wants, but, how many people did he tell that is didn't mean a thing before hand, those people being the large living CEOs and their boards?

If he continues this after he leaves office I may be far more apt to believe that he cares for us wee little folk.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Every President becomes "for the little people" after they leave office!

I mean fuck, what else are they gonna do with themselves? They all write a book, open a library, raise money for their party and then get very bored...

Bush Sr. and Clinton are now golfing buddies- that's a biiig leap from the accuzations and slurs they threw back and forth when running against each other.
Dont be suprised to see Bush Jr in that little clique by decade's end.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He could be the caddy!
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the ball waxer. And Yes, there is more than one meaning to that [Wink]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Or get a job in a hotel polishing knobs?

--------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a job in the city painting poles? or in a chocolate factory packing fudge, or a pickle factory or a sausage factory... There's lots of things old presidents can do to benefit humanity.

In all seriousness tho. It's nice to see him actually doing something other than talking about how well his war is going.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Yes, talking about the pensions will take the minds of several thousand people from the loss of their loved one, or the others that are now taking care of a maimed loved one.....

Now, don't get me wrong, it isn't that I do not like Bush inparticular, but all politicians....

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Politician comes from two root words; "Poly" meaning "many" and "Ticks" meaning "bloodsucking leaches".

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps