Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Not So Random Political Rant #1 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Not So Random Political Rant #1
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Politics....

From the root words "Poly", meaning "Many"
and "Ticks", meaning "Blood sucking leaches"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Amongst all Flareites here, I see you spitting out the most vitriol. Of course this pisses his defenders here to no end (but then I haven't been keeping up with Flameboard events lately).

I dislike Bush myself, but to me, Bush is representative of all politicians of all stripes, incompetent, bumbling idiot who always tries to cover up his mistakes......

I'm going to disagree with the phrase spitting out vitriol.

I don't think that's what I do. Rather, I point out things that I think that he and his administration are doing wrong. It isn't my fault there's so much to choose from.

But as I do that I try to be respectful. I refer to him as Mr. Bush rather than the way that those who really hate him call him other names and the way that people who hated Bill Clinton called him names. I didn't start out that way, but I came to think that in doing so I was no better than those people who called Mr. Clinton names so I decided not to do that anymore.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is strange given how little respect he seems to have for you.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Americablog.com points to this Rolling Stone story:

quote:
The Worst President in History?

One of America's leading historians assesses George W. Bush

George W. Bush's presidency appears headed for colossal historical disgrace. Barring a cataclysmic event on the order of the terrorist attacks of September 11th, after which the public might rally around the White House once again, there seems to be little the administration can do to avoid being ranked on the lowest tier of U.S. presidents. And that may be the best-case scenario. Many historians are now wondering whether Bush, in fact, will be remembered as the very worst president in all of American history.

From time to time, after hours, I kick back with my colleagues at Princeton to argue idly about which president really was the worst of them all. For years, these perennial debates have largely focused on the same handful of chief executives whom national polls of historians, from across the ideological and political spectrum, routinely cite as the bottom of the presidential barrel. Was the lousiest James Buchanan, who, confronted with Southern secession in 1860, dithered to a degree that, as his most recent biographer has said, probably amounted to disloyalty -- and who handed to his successor, Abraham Lincoln, a nation already torn asunder? Was it Lincoln's successor, Andrew Johnson, who actively sided with former Confederates and undermined Reconstruction? What about the amiably incompetent Warren G. Harding, whose administration was fabulously corrupt? Or, though he has his defenders, Herbert Hoover, who tried some reforms but remained imprisoned in his own outmoded individualist ethic and collapsed under the weight of the stock-market crash of 1929 and the Depression's onset? The younger historians always put in a word for Richard M. Nixon, the only American president forced to resign from office.

Now, though, George W. Bush is in serious contention for the title of worst ever. In early 2004, an informal survey of 415 historians conducted by the nonpartisan History News Network found that eighty-one percent considered the Bush administration a "failure." Among those who called Bush a success, many gave the president high marks only for his ability to mobilize public support and get Congress to go along with what one historian called the administration's "pursuit of disastrous policies." In fact, roughly one in ten of those who called Bush a success was being facetious, rating him only as the best president since Bill Clinton -- a category in which Bush is the only contestant.

-

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that cover proclaiming Peral Jam having "the best album in 10 years" says little for their opinion.
nless they mean Pearl jam's current album is [i]their[/i best in 10 years...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that Rolling Stone cover proclaiming Pearl Jam having "the best album in 10 years" says little for their opinion.
Unless they mean Pearl Jam's current album is their best in 10 years...

Pearl Jam sucks collosal donkey cocks at the best of times.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, other than Pearl Jam....

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick Lachey, then. isn't he the one who married whatserface, they had that reality show? Boy-band member, or something like that.

And, I've only heard the Raconteurs' single so far, but I like it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Steady, As She Goes"?

(That is the best comma in modern rock music.)

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Plus, this exchange in a recent Guardian article:

quote:
"First time I met Jack I hated him," Benson smirks. "Brendan and I were dating," adds Keeler, with a wry set to the mouth. "Yeah, we were dating," Benson rolls on, "and Jack was like, moving in on Patrick ..." They begin to snicker. "Then they had me!" Lawrence suddenly pipes up from the corner. "I was a mistake!" "You were not a mistake," says Keeler fondly, "you were just not expected, that's all."

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, it's now quite clear that posting the cover was a huge mistake.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What else is there to say?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he's "one of America's leading historians" why have I never heard of him before? One makes one a "leading historian," anyway? Is he privy to more of history than others? Is he in fact history incarnate?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

The way DT went on, you'd think he was a "leading historian." He certainly thought so at any rate. Twat.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

"Leading HIstorian" sounds like it would be a posting in the Bush admin- spinning the past (further).

[ April 24, 2006, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps