Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Charles: America's First Line of Defence

Author Topic: Charles: America's First Line of Defence
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . or should that be Defense?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/idcards/story/0,,1766266,00.html

An interesting article about identity cards, and identity theft. I remember only a few days before I flew to the States we received an email from BA asking for all sorts of information or else we weren't going anywhere. Right now the Government here in the UK is trying to introduce ID cards, even though the cost will amount to about �100 for each person in the UK (according to one estimate). They've yet to explain how ID cards would stop four guys with backpacks getting on the Tube, however, and when pressed on the subject witter on at length about how they'll help prevent identity theft and fraud.

But over the past nine years "New" Labour has been plagued with disastrous large IT government projects, often delivered years late and massively overbudget - if they're delivered at all - which often don't work. Even now they continue to pursue their dream of a centralised NHS database. To these ends billions have been thrown the way of their preferred suppliers, EDS and Capita (the latter of which has had one of its senior members involved in the cash-for-peerages scandal).

The chances of a viable affordable ID card scheme are almost nonexistent, yet most people in this country unaccountably continue to support the plan. I'm not one of them. I'm going to do my best not to apply for one (tricky though, since they're proposing it be tied in with passport renewals, something I'll be needing to do in a couple of years anyway) and if issued one I won't carry it.

And, the thread title? Just this:

quote:
the Clinton administration had decided it was time to devise a security system that would weed out potential terrorists before they boarded a flight. This was called Capps, the Computer Assisted Passenger Pre-screening System
Is there anything the guy can't do?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOu mean besides his inability to provide customisable viewing settings for Flare...? Can't think of a thing.

--Jonah

P.S. We love you, Charles. Don't ever change. I, for one, like the opportunity to be the mockER, rather than the mockEE, for a change. [Wink]

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With that nose, I suppose that's understandable.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nose...? Buh?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Lee
Member # 393

Hee hee! 8)

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Dude, I've gotten teased for many things, but never my nose!

--Jonah

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just figured you knew.
YOu're not Howard Stern ugly or anything...more of a Tucan Sam. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
. . . or should that be Defense?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/idcards/story/0,,1766266,00.html

An interesting article about identity cards, and identity theft. I remember only a few days before I flew to the States we received an email from BA asking for all sorts of information or else we weren't going anywhere. Right now the Government here in the UK is trying to introduce ID cards, even though the cost will amount to about �100 for each person in the UK (according to one estimate). They've yet to explain how ID cards would stop four guys with backpacks getting on the Tube, however, and when pressed on the subject witter on at length about how they'll help prevent identity theft and fraud.

But over the past nine years "New" Labour has been plagued with disastrous large IT government projects, often delivered years late and massively overbudget - if they're delivered at all - which often don't work. Even now they continue to pursue their dream of a centralised NHS database. To these ends billions have been thrown the way of their preferred suppliers, EDS and Capita (the latter of which has had one of its senior members involved in the cash-for-peerages scandal).

The chances of a viable affordable ID card scheme are almost nonexistent, yet most people in this country unaccountably continue to support the plan. I'm not one of them. I'm going to do my best not to apply for one (tricky though, since they're proposing it be tied in with passport renewals, something I'll be needing to do in a couple of years anyway) and if issued one I won't carry it.

And, the thread title? Just this:

quote:
the Clinton administration had decided it was time to devise a security system that would weed out potential terrorists before they boarded a flight. This was called Capps, the Computer Assisted Passenger Pre-screening System
Is there anything the guy can't do?
When you have in the neighborhood of six eyes, like Charles Capps, you do some serious screening.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thoight of Charles as a giant spider.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he is just as hairy... B)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps