Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » An Interesting Story (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: An Interesting Story
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elections have (as far as I now) always been scheduled- even in extreme circumstances (death of a President) there is the line of succession wherein the Vice-President fills the role next in line.

As the VP office was for decades a "do nothing" position, this led to some seriously crappy partial term Presidents.
I dont know of a time where the line of sucession went any further than the VP's office.
No one's ever killed both the President and VP- usually the two are not together publicly and when they are (usually campaigning) the security is notably increased.

The current line of fuckos is:

President: George W. Bush

Dick Cheney, Vice President
Dennis Hastert, Speaker of the House of Representatives
Ted Stevens, President pro tempore of the Senate
Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State
John W. Snow, Secretary of the Treasury
Donald H. Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense
Alberto Gonzales, Attorney General

At least there's some padding before we get a forced "Rumsfeld/Gonzalez" administration.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose Gerald Ford is the closest example, as he was never elected (if a VP is ever really elected? Doesn't he just share the bill? Does a Presidential candidate HAVE to nominate a VP candidate?), just confirmed by the Senate as replacement VP for Nixon, I think. . . Yes, just checked, and the House confirmed it too. Prior to that he was just House Minority Leader.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I think they have to run with a VP now.
The "do nothing days" was a result of original setup for Presidential elections - the VP was the runner-up for President!

Obviously having a second in command from another political party was a bad idea (as by-partisan governing has never worked here) and (even with both positions being held by the same party) the job became a figurehead post for decades -until Eisenhower was VP and hated it snough to change the nature of the office.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, do you mean "until Nixon was Eisenhower's VP?"

Also, if I read the Wikipedia chart right (and if the entry is itself right), Truman never had a VP at all, and Johnson didn't have one for the remainder of Kennedy's term? Oh, I see, the 25th Amendment wasn't ratified until 1967, requiring there to be a VP?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Actually I meant "Teddy Rooseveldt". Duh- I watched documebteries on both men last week and my mind was a tad confused... that show "The Presidents' rocks, but a marathon will scramble your brain with information overload. [Wink]
Teddy hated the position of "do nothing Vice President" and almost left office because of it, but it would have killed his political aspirations.

Googling found that there has been several times with no vice-president.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Ahh, Alben Barkley. Gnarls' dad, obviously. I read the Wikichart wrong - Truman had no VP for his first term (or the remainder of Roosevelt's fourth, in actuality).

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who went to all of the state funerals then?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I've got this right, the fundamental difference between US and UK elections is that we vote for the party, but you vote for the person, correct?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will really mess you up...in the presidential race, we vote for electors who then vote for the president.

A person could win the popular vote but loose the Electoral College and loose the election.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alben Barkley also had the best exit line ever. On 30 April 1956, Barkely was giving a speech at Washington and Lee University in Virginia. He proclaimed, "I would rather be a servant in the House of the Lord than to sit in the seats of the mighty." He then promptly had a massive coronary & keeled over dead.

In terms of presidental succession, there is no "moving up the ranks;" that is, the Speaker does not automatically become VP, the pres pro tem does not become the Speaker, etc. With a vice presidential vacancy anyone can be appointed to the job by the president, subject to congressional approval, of course. As I recall, so far the only time this has happened has been the whole Gerald Ford fiasco, where he was appointed, & then he appointed Nelson Rockefeller.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Article II Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution explains the whole Electoral College thing.

quote:
The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate.

---

That that should clear things up.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I've cheered up a little from my grumpy mood at the weekend, I'd like to point out that actually, the Americans don't even vote for the electoral college.

They vote for the taller guy [Razz]

( Check Wikipedia if you don't believe me )

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmf. That article states that "The shortest President elected to office was James Madison (5'4", 1.62 m); the shortest President to originally enter the office by means other than election was Teddy Roosevelt (5'8", 1.74 m)."

Some of us know otherwise

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monica says there's someone ELSE who should be known as "The Littlest President". [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I recall during the last Presidentail debate, one of the stupid things both parties agreed on was that neither candidate would wear risers or stand on a platform to appear taller.

Biz-arre.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps