Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Political parties (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Political parties
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pssst, the plans aren't secret anymore.
Lee's brain heard saying " You typed that out loud, that's it I'm leaving." Sounds of footsteps fading away....

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
That's part of what I'm talking about. It seems like the best argument for voting Democrat next election isn't because of what they advocate or stand for, but because they're Not Bush. I don't think people want to vote against things, I think they want to have something that they can get behind.

I agree completely (and when have I ever said that to you before?).
The Demorcats (or whomever wants to seriously break away from the two party system) need to inspire voters.
Attacking the very worst President in out lifetimes did not win the Democrats the election, yet, they're still so busy fucking each other over to have the soundbyte of the day that they'll likely lose to whatever fucko the Republicans stick on the ballot.

After all, the new Republican candidate already has the one thing the Democrats consider their ace card he's not Bush.
And he's not Hiliary Clinton (shudder).

I think a viable third party would need to be comprised of (or at least be verbally embraced by) name-recognisable elected/formerly elected officials from both Democrats and Republicans. A McCain/Edwards ticket would seriously fly.
quote:

And just so we're clear, I'm not running for president, at least not right this second. I'm more interested in finding a set of issues that a group of people like us could agree are important, so as to form a core for discussion.

Just as well- you really dont want the media asking us for our opinions on your political viewpoints.
(pictures Tim in a tight fitting "Star Trek Lives" t-shirt being verbally attacked on FOX News, and all of our posts being discected by bloggers everywhere).

On the other hand, you can appoint us all to positions within your administration in exchange for our silence...I'll take over either the CDC or EPA.
Your choice. [Smile]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call ATF! They have tanks.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh...good selection.
You can have cards made up with your name, title and a byline of "Dont make me get all Ruby Ridge on your ass!".

Still, you'd have to report to the Attorney General (in theory anyhow).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be the wizard behind the curtain.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already asked my friend Awesome Jen some time ago to take over the United States Department of Funk. She's a natural for it. I, on the other hand, will head the department of Hot Chicks & Bitchin' Tunes. Also, I will take the Bureau of Cultural Reeducation.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Re-Ned-ucation.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even own a Star-Trek-related shirt. I've got a Transformers one, if that helps. (It was a gift.)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

hmmm...I was thinking you could embarass him with a "Fanboy" (from Freakazoid!) impression.

Hmmm...y'know, I wonder how many hardcore Trek fans have any of that overt merchandising crap (collage T-Shirts, uniforms, etc.).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A more centrist party would probably do quite well if it was signifigant enough to be seriously considered. However, one thing to consider is that not all centrists are 'moderate' on all issues. Someone (such as myself [Smile] ) might fall roughly in the center of the political spectrum, but have rather non-moderate views on many issues, and sometimes those views may be different then both liberal and conservative positions. Thus, a centrist candidate could easily end up alienating a large number of centrists, even if they are at the same point in the political spectrum.

As for selecting politicians to vote for, there are more problems then just having nothing but bad choices. Even with bad choices, a well-informed person could simply choose then better, even if all the politicians stink on an absolute scale. A problem I had in the last major election, though, was a LACK of information about the people I was voting for. The presidential candidates usually have much information avalible, but there are a whole bunch of other people to vote for as well. I was able to find a good internet site at http://www.ontheissues.org that contains a good amount of information on most of the candidates. It also has a quiz/evaluation thing that is a useful indicator of where you fall on the political plane (it uses a 2D method for social and economic policies). It has this for all the candidates as well. I'm not affiliated with the site, so sorry if this sounds like an advertisment! [Cool]

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"On the other hand, you can appoint us all to positions within your administration in exchange for our silence...I'll take over either the CDC or EPA.
Your choice. [Smile]"

I call dibs for "Secretary of Giant Killer Robots!"

Cuz every Empire needs giant killer robots.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I sooo agree- I mean, really, is a Madcat too much to ask? You could wrap each leg in razorwire to prevent yokels from climbing up...(why Battletech never figured this out is beyond me).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps