Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Stopping those that are different from us (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stopping those that are different from us
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple reposts from my Livejournal...

Hunt for sect leader shines light on polygamists
'Prophet' allegedly arranged marriages to underage brides

So...they're going after this guy because he's a polygamist. Now, I don't agree with a lot of the things he's preaching, but y'know...if that's what they believe, who are we to say no? Yeah, a lot of it is weird. For example:

• He has also ordered followers to pull their kids out of the public schools and teach them at home; banned athletics, television and all books except Scripture; and enforced a long-standing dress code that requires women to wear long pioneer-style dresses and men to button their shirt collars.
  • Jeffs has prophesied that the world was about to come to an end and that the second coming of Jesus Christ was at hand, only to blame church members for their lack of faith when the events failed to occur, according to excommunicated members.
  • Jeffs has demanded church members add $1,000 monthly to the tithe, or 10 percent, that they already pay, leaving many families living in squalor, while his own family lived well in a block-long walled compound of mansions in Hildale.
  • The community's youngsters rarely attend school beyond the eighth grade. Instead they go to work, the boys usually in construction, the girls at home, or in family-run businesses, such as the local dairy or food co-op.
  • Jeffs is said to wield great influence with city leaders, police and a local judge, most of whom are members of the church. Some say close associates, or "Warrenites," serve as his spies, reporting indiscretions by members of the community back to Jeffs.

He is known to travel with bodyguards in a convoy of sport utility vehicles with tinted windows, slipping in and out of church-owned properties in Colorado, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas and Utah.

Authorities also believe he may be moving back and forth across the U.S. border to enclaves in Canada and Mexico. The FBI considers Jeffs armed and dangerous.

Now...none of this is why he's being hunted. Only because of being a polygamist. (Yes, yes, I know: " Jeffs is accused of arranging marriages between underage girls and older men. He is charged with child sexual abuse in Arizona and being an accomplice to statutory rape in Utah." we all know my thoughts on that.)

---------------------------

Town won't let unmarried parents live together

BLACK JACK, Missouri (AP) -- The City Council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

You know...you KNOW!!!...that somewhere, someone on that council has said in secret, in private, to themselves or perhaps to another, "Maybe this'll stop those goddamned niggers from fuckign everything up." YOU KNOW IT.

Robert Heinlein is gonna rise from his fucking grave & throw down some shit. That's right, fuckers--there's a 2-decade-dead Missourian who's going to FUCK. YOU. UP.

--------------------
    "The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

• Mikey T
    Driven
    Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I think that's why I live in Los Angeles...

--------------------
    "It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
    -Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Shik
    Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
    Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Yes, quite the bastion of personal freedoms it is.

--------------------
    "The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    "if that's what they believe, who are we to say no?"
    The heirs of the Enlightenment and liberal civil society? Not that I miss your point.

Teh PW
    Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
    Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sol System:
    "if that's what they believe, who are we to say no?"
    The heirs of the Enlightenment and liberal civil society? Not that I miss your point.

Shik: About the first guy. He's a nut job and needs to be deader or jailed. bans atheletics? he wants all his kids to be fat fucks and singing God is great? already a group sing that, in that corner of the religious nut job market...

Nuff 'said.

About the second one? i dunno. i didn't read enough to have a opinion (but depending on where, what is said, im certain some places still hold thier 'southern values', as racist as they are...

--------------------
    *shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Captain Boh
    Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    If the average 13 year old male is going to work in construction, I doubt they're going to become tubs of lard.
    Jason Abbadon
    Rolls with the punches.
    Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Or open-minded, well developed adults either.

--------------------
    Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
    -Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Wow, that debacle in Black Jack made the national news? (It's in the same county where I live.)

As for the religion guy... Well, most of that sounds pretty much like any other religion. Just a little stricter than most. However, pulling children out of school and having sex with them is illegal, and with good reason. So, I don't see anything wrong with hunting the guy down. (Granted, polygamy is illegal, too. However, I'm not really sure what the reason is for that, aside from a religious one.)

Captain Boh
    Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Certanly not, but dammit, they'll be able to build stuff!
    Lee
    I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
    Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shik:
    (. . . we all know my thoughts on that.)

Actually, no, we don't, unless it hasn't changed from your pre-incarceration attitude that it was OK because you were in lurve. Care to enlighten us?

--------------------
    Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
    A Terrible & Sick leek
    Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Too bad these young girls are brain washed in to thinking that it is the proper way of doing things, not net capable urchins looking for trouble.

I can see why he wants all but scripture banned, educated people are dangerous to him.

Too bad people need someting to believe in so badly that they will let one man yield that much power in their lives, unlike the pope.

As soon as all the unmarried couples vote the asses out of office and elect someone of their choosing things will return to thier normal sordid affairs.

--------------------
    "You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
    "Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
    A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

B.J.
    Space Cadet
    Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Not merely brainwashed, but I believe they're told point-blank that they will marry whoever Jeffs says to marry or they will go to Hell.

Ritten: I'm confused about your last statement. What do elections (or unmarried couples for that matter) have to do with this?

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
    Rolls with the punches.
    Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Captain Boh:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Certanly not, but dammit, they'll be able to build stuff!
    Yeah- stuff built on a junior-high education.
    Shacks for their troglogite families of yokels.

--------------------
    Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
    -Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
    A Terrible & Sick leek
    Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    B.J., did you read all of Shik's post?

BLACK JACK, Missouri (AP) -- The City Council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Elected officials.

Jason, at least Jeffs has a nice house though.

--------------------
    "You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
    "Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
    A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

B.J.
    Space Cadet
    Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Sorry, thought you were still talking about Jeffs. Besides, since I escaped left Missouri, I tend to ignore anything about the state.
      This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps