Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » TERRORISM: FOILED! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TERRORISM: FOILED!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys watching this crazy shit today?
Seems up to 10 planes were targeted to be hijacked and blown up midair between Britan and the U.S.

It also appears that the explosives were to be brought aboard in carry-on luggage, were liquid based and were in bottles of "British Gatoraide" and were to be detonated via cell phone or IPod.

This just proves my long-standing position that anyone with an IPod should be inprisoned without trial or specific charges.

Lots of changes to carry-on luggage in effect now (though likeky temporary).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this on TV last night, and at the time they were saying 20 aircraft. Of course, I just found another source saying 6 planes. Whatever the details, this would have been a very bad day had they not been caught.

B.J.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Lots of changes to carry-on luggage in effect now (though likeky temporary)."

Likely not, because they're far too convenient for airlines ("Oh, you want something to drink? Well, you'll just have to buy it from us!") and will keep getting milked for all their worth. Besides, with everybody gasping over how naughty and innovative these fuckos were by planning to use liquid explosives, it would just be irresponsible not to enforce them permanently, wouldn't it?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Apparently they just found one of the guys in custody's pre-recorded martyrdom tape. He'll never live it down. . .

But, yeah. My sister-in-law was flying out of the country this evening too - luckily, she made it OK; something to be said for living outside London I guess.

It's not something the airlines are going to complain about, no. People have been taking the piss with carry-on luggage for years (you should have seen, hell, tried to lift the stuff we brought back from Italy in our carry-on luggage - four litres of wine, spirits, cheese. . .). I'm not looking forward to Lula's next flight if she doesn't have her duck along with her. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why the government should have hired a bunch of creative thinkers a long time ago. Someone would have come up with this scenario to bring down a plane.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, ten years ago, there was a plot almost exactly the same as this one.

--------------------
Meh

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While bottles of stuff (water, soda, whatever) might remain banned, there's a lot of stuff that will have to (eventually) be allowed back on planes- medicinal supplies in cream form for starters (I cant travel anywhere without Zinc Oxide paste for example).

Airlines will have to alter their current lack of provisions now- many were in the process of eliminating beverages/foods completely to keep ticket costs down- and will have to at least provide water now.
Expensive, screened, FAA-approved water, but still...

Also, the cost of luggage will skyrocket: at my work, many people already ship their stuff back rather than get charged by the airlines.

Still...GO BRITAN! Seriously, someone deserves a medal or promotion over this: it sounds like the plot was known about for a while before the go-ahead to arrest the suspects was given.

Now as long as there's not some fucking Hezbollah connection to the terrorists, it's a big win all around. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a police operation. I am going to conservatively estimate that police in the UK make a gajillion arrests a year. I mean, I'm awfully glad no planes blew up, but are we really at the point where a lack of fiery death means something fantastically unusual has happened, as opposed to cops doing their (admittedly difficult and praiseworthy) job?

Considering how much trouble airlines have staying in business when they aren't being blown up, and how expensive fuel is likely to get, and how incredibly inconvenient it is going to be to make a plane truly secure, I wonder if commercial air travel for the masses will just go away.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

No...it wont "go away", but it will likely change some.
Elimination of seperate classes for starters as airlines maximize space for more passengers to offset costs.

As to police ops, it's a big win in that police are learning how to effectively deal with terror cells -british cops have (arguably) the most anti-terrorism experience in the world already and now seem to have adapted to the new threat.
It's not "fantastically unusual", just the start of what is hopefully a big trend in stopping nut jobs from killing innocents.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, I'd say the Brits are only topped by the Israelis.

Sol, I would say it varies on how difficult and praiseworthy a cops job is, depending on the area. The ones in a bigger town/city, yes, the ones in little burgs like mine, where the cops get board an usually pull people over for doing 47 or 48 in a 45 mph zone, no. It got so bad on tickets that the judge would say that anyone from my burg with a ticket for 4 or less dismissed, go see the clerk.

Of course, then they followed a burg councilman that had taken his sons car for a test drive after working on it and pissed him off, so they have calmed down a bit.

The airlines will downsize the aircraft they've got, fewer flights and/or smaller aircraft, as the common joe tourist won't be able to afford to fly any where.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean to imply, by the way, that every cop's job performance is praiseworthy, of course.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll have to really make sure bag-handlers can do their jobs now - no taking everything on board... You could end up in another country with absolutely NOTHING.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also been saying you need to take your medication in the box with the sticker on it/take your prescription... what about over the counter medication that you need to take - are the airlines going to provide that!?! Airline-brand paracetamol??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, first of all, have they? Britain has imposed one set of rules, the U.S. another, and I can't say that I've heard anything about the Australian reaction, if any.

But, in the U.S. . .

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps